1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th,7th harmonics from wah wah chokes?

Started by markphaser, July 16, 2006, 02:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markphaser

When frequencys or harmonic testing wah wah chokes

When "saturating" the input of a new wha wha choke the 1st,3rd,5th,7th harmonics come after each other

When "saturating" the input of a vintage wah wah choke the 1st comes in
                                                                                      2nd+3rd come in both together
                                                                                    4th and 5th come in both together
                                                                                      NO 7th

The mechanic field BIASING is unbalanced in the vintage ones also why is that ? and how did they do this??

why do older vintage wah chokes have different harmonics and harmonics that come in 2 at a time also ?

Paul Marossy

QuoteWhen "saturating" the input of a new wha wha choke the 1st,3rd,5th,7th harmonics come after each other

Your guess is as good as anyone else's. How did you determine this anyway? Did you play around with one on a spectrum analyzer?

QuoteWhen "saturating" the input of a vintage wah wah choke the 1st comes in
                                                                                      2nd+3rd come in both together
                                                                                    4th and 5th come in both together
                                                                                      NO 7th

If this is true, than this would explain why the old inductors seem to sound sweeter. Once again, is this data from testing wah inductors on a spectrum analyzer?

Quotewhy do older vintage wah chokes have different harmonics and harmonics that come in 2 at a time also ?

RG gives a possible explanation of this in the "Tech. of Wah Pedals" article at www.geofex.com

stm

This is an extract of The Technology of Wah Pedals (www.geofex.com):

"However, when I did the same to the Fasel inductor, the onset of saturation-generated harmonics happened a bit sooner, and a second harmonic appeared with the third! As I turned the drive up, the fourth rose with the fifth, and I never got a seventh harmonic. The inductor, all by itself was clipping asymmetrically."

And also:

"I queried some older and wiser EE's who have spent a career on magnetics. We came to the conclusion that the only way this could happen was if the inductor core had some kind of magnetic offset in it, so one polarity of the waveform saturated earlier than the other."

Now you know what triggered this post... :icon_rolleyes:

stm

Now trying to contribute something, a way of having a permanent magnetic unbalance is to place a small button magnet in the central leg of the magnetic core.

Eventually you could try with a piece of these flexible plastic magnets, like those used to stick your pizza's phone number on the refrigerator door.

Paul Marossy

QuoteEventually you could try with a piece of these flexible plastic magnets, like those used to stick your pizza's phone number on the refrigerator door.

I tried that on one of my wah pedals. The results were inconclusive. The button magnet idea is something that I have not tied yet.

Doug_H

I think inductor mojo with wahs is overrated. I modded a stock dunlop gcb-95 into a killer sounding wah with a few simple resistor changes.

Doug

markphaser

Fasel inductor, the onset of saturation-generated harmonics happened a bit sooner, and a second harmonic appeared with the third! As I turned the drive up, the fourth rose with the fifth, and I never got a seventh harmonic. The inductor, all by itself was clipping asymmetrically."

Explain why this happens? the odd and even harmonic patterns?

The new wah inductors are symmetrical why is that?

The old wah inductors are asymmetrical why is that?

R.G.

Please, please, please do not feed the markphaser.

In past appearances, it has shown that it cannot be taught, and will spin ever tighter circles around you,while siphoning all replies into a never ending vortex.

Those of you who doubt this, do a search on markphaser's previous posts for a sample.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Paul Marossy

QuotePlease, please, please do not feed the markphaser.

In past appearances, it has shown that it cannot be taught, and will spin ever tighter circles around you,while siphoning all replies into a never ending vortex.

Help, I'm going down... down.. down...

I know about the phaser - I just thought he may have changed for the better.  :icon_wink:

puretube

Quote from: Paul Marossy on July 20, 2006, 06:27:58 PM
QuotePlease, please, please do not feed the markphaser.

Help, I'm going down... down.. down...

I know about the phaser - I just thought he may have changed for the better.  :icon_wink:

you sentimental optimist!

(like me...  :icon_wink:)

Paul Marossy

Quoteyou sentimental optimist!

Well, one has to have some hope in this world we live in, or what's the point in being here?!   :icon_lol:

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: Paul Marossy on July 20, 2006, 06:59:32 PM
Well, one has to have some hope in this world we live in, or what's the point in being here?!   :icon_lol:
:icon_cool:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

markphaser