Which Clean Boost build for AC30????

Started by AC30Dirty, July 17, 2006, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC30Dirty

Hey guys. I realized i need a boost pedal. I use a Vox AC30 that i love and I just want something that will give me a plain volume boost but not push the clean into overdrive cause of the Class A circuit of the amp.  Any suggestions of directions into what i should build. there are so many boost circuits out there that i don't know what to build. :icon_eek:

brett

Hi
Stratoblaster at general guitar gadgets is excellent.  Tiny tiny tiny bit of sweet distortion.  Very controllable boost.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

newbie builder

AMZ mosfet boost might be nice (also found at generalguitargadgets.com) I'll suggest buying a few 5k linear pots (mosts clean boosts use them) and populating a few boards and then deciding. Single knob clean boost circuits tend to be pretty simple.
//

sfr

I like the LPB2 (Circuit is at General Guitar Gadgets amongst other places) for this purpose.  I have an AC30 clone and use this pedal for your purpose, it works well.  You can throw the thing together on perf in a few hours.  I've actually installed one in one of my guitars.  It *can* very easily push your amp way into overdrive, (at least the one I have does - it can put out enough a heck of a bunch of output) but you can just roll the knob back until you get the amount of "push" you need.  (I used a pot with detents, so I know my prefered setting is four "clicks" from zero.)  This thing also gets some great sounds out of other pedals (pushing my distortion + with it for more clipping and grit is my favorite trick., the volume knob on the distortion plus then cuts the overall level back down to something sane before I run it into anything else.)
sent from my orbital space station.

Torchy

petemoore

All good stuff...
  ~Rangemaster certainly bears mentioning for an AC30....they have enjoyed some 'shared history'..I never had the AC30 to try it out though.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

rhys

another vote for the amz mosfet boost--great clean boost.

AC30Dirty

Thanks guys so far for all the suggestions. I was wondering though would the Jack Oarman mini-booster be benefical in the case?

bwanasonic

Pretty much any booster will sound sweet with an AC30. I have heard good results with a Rangemaster, MosFet Boost, and Fetzer Valve, all of which are low-part count simple builds.

Kerry M

newbie builder

The mini boost is an awsome boost but it is not a clean one. It's more like a 1 knob overdrive pedal. Even if you don't use it as your clean boost though you should try it as a dirty boost- great thick and fat boost. I also LOVE rangemasters with ac15/30s- something magic there.
//

Torchy

Depends which AC30 you have, but Dragonfly's Sparkleboost is a simple but brilliant build.

AC30Dirty

I have the new AC30CC2 with a pair of G12M Celestion Greenbacks. So with this baby i have almost every AC30 ever made. Some people mock the fact that its made in China but, I can assure you its just as good as a British made AC30 if not better.

chokeyou

ive found the sparkleboost to be pretty 'grindy'...both on my silverface bassman 100 and orange OD120...full bodied, fat, crunch...not so much "clean" unless you back way off on it.

...then again i pretty much run it full tilt  :icon_biggrin:

d95err

Quote from: AC30Dirty on July 17, 2006, 09:27:04 PM
Hey guys. I realized i need a boost pedal. I use a Vox AC30 that i love and I just want something that will give me a plain volume boost but not push the clean into overdrive cause of the Class A circuit of the amp.  Any suggestions of directions into what i should build. there are so many boost circuits out there that i don't know what to build. :icon_eek:

I'm not sure what you mean. What would Class A have to do with pushing it into overdrive?

The Vox AC30 is not Class A by the way, despite what the myths will tell you. It's Class AB, just like virtually every other push-pull guitar amp, despite the best efforts of the corresponding marketing hype.

http://www.aikenamps.com/VoxAC30classA_2.html