Tremulous Lune - why build any other trem?

Started by mydementia, July 18, 2006, 06:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mydementia

I was inspired by MartyMart's rave reviews of the Commonsound Tremulous Lune (http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=47018.msg346795#msg346795) so I thought I'd try one on for size.  This was my first PCB attempt...and it worked the SECOND time I fired it up (had copper bleed from the transfer - one overlapped trace I didn't catch!).  I still need to figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong when I'm drilling because EVERY hole I drill creates a little crater on the copper side...not good to solder to.  I'm using a dremel with a knockoff dremel press and a #105 engraving bit.  I just got the 'slack' out of the press today...maybe that will help.  I also need to find a 1/32 drill bit somewhere...

The Lune:
I didn't feel like waiting for an order, so I used a RatShack photocell and a yellow LED for my vactrol (VTL5C2 is specified) and it works great.  I'll probably order the right one in my next purchase...just to see if I notice a difference.  This is a awesome trem - blows my Kay and EA Tremolo builds away.  If you're looking for nice, adjustable trem - throw one of these together.

I threw it in a temporary box (another RatShack acquisition - can't argue with a $0.90 box that can fit three big boards and 12 pots...) but this one's definitely getting a permanent spot on my board.  It's currently packaged with a TS808 and my Cauldren of Gain (trem at the end) and it's just great.  I need to open it back up and trim the gain back a bit...  I also get ticking at the extreme end of the Depth pot...I recall a solution to this one around here somewhere - I'm not worried!

Great build - thanks for the recommendation Marty!!  I'm just going to keep building the same circuits you recommend...we seem to have similar taste.

Mike

Dave_B

Quote from: mydementia on July 18, 2006, 06:50:54 PM
I still need to figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong when I'm drilling because EVERY hole I drill creates a little crater on the copper side...not good to solder to.  I'm using a dremel with a knockoff dremel press and a #105 engraving bit.  I just got the 'slack' out of the press today...maybe that will help.  I also need to find a 1/32 drill bit somewhere...
I'm using a range of bits from #60 to #70.  I get mine at Hobby Lobby.  I also use a 20-year-old dremel with a press.  That works well for me.

Edit:  Hobby Haven, not Hobby Lobby.
Help build our Wiki!

jimbob

I was having the same problem. Turns out it was the drill bit i was using that i bought at a local hardware store. I never had that problem with the ones I bought from steve or mouser. Plus this was a little to big- just a little. I can also possibly blame it on the cheap Ratshack board- although I have had the same problm w blanks from steve as well. Good luck w the Trem- I look forward to mine soon.

James
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

chokeyou

how do you all fix the bit in your dremel without it sliding around? I've even used the dremel small bit attachment with no luck

mydementia

I got this collet set at Lowes the other day:
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachments-and-accessories/attachment-accessory-detail.htm?H=188555&G=66442&I=66443

Seems to work well with the #105...I'm going to have to try a real bit!

Thanks for your replies.
Mike

dr

.....I built the lune, but have since built one I like better-it is on the "Schematics for Free"  www.schematicsforfree.com  site called "The Unimod"....it does tremolo slower than my Lune, and it goes fast enough to be considered a ring modulator (ultra fast)...and....ready for this....it does a great panning effect since it has two outputs-the only thing is, it takes two nine volt batteries to operate; my next build will be a bi-polar supply for it.....I have it mounted in an old CryBaby shell and vary the speed of the trem/pan.....I like it a lot even though I had to put two CA3080's in it; everything else in it were easy to find off-the-shelf items....the pdf is hard to read in places, but easy to figure out from the component layout................dr 

dr

.....sorry-it wasn't ftp site, just: www.schematicsforfree.com ......hope it works this time....

dr

.....look for Misc.,then open Sound Effects- its near the bottom of the page.....

sfr

I've had very good luck drilling if I make "holes" in my pads where the parts go through on my layout and make sure that they etch out when I'm doing my etch.  Keeps bit from wandering, (I usually drill with a handheld dremel) and prevents the copper from puckering or anything.
sent from my orbital space station.

soggybag

I took a look but could not find "The Unimod" on the schematics for free site. This sounds a bit like the Ring Frobnicator.

MartyMart

Great build - thanks for the recommendation Marty!!  I'm just going to keep building the same circuits you recommend...we seem to have similar taste.

Mike

:D :D :D !

That's cool , I defy anyone to build a working Trem Lune and NOT be blown away !!
Mine was also on PCB but with the correct vactrol, that may make a difference to the effect/noise ?
I dont have any "ticking" issues at all.
OK, Mike ... Two more recommendations , which I know that you'll LOVE :
Mark Hammers "The Crank"
Dragonfly's "Sparkle Boost"

Looks like "similar job's" from both, ie: vol boost and some "grit" too, but they are both very different
and are superb for clean through slight grit sounds.
Sparkle Boost really does add "sparkle" to your sound ( obvious !! )
peace ..
MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

rhys

This is a awesome trem - blows my Kay and EA Tremolo builds away.  If you're looking for nice, adjustable trem - throw one of these together.

So does that smoothness knob vary the waveform from sine to squareish?  A kay has been on my list b/c it gets good reviews for choppy square wave trem, but I'd dig having both in one pedal.

Floyd Pepper

QuoteI defy anyone to build a working Trem Lune and NOT be blown away !!

I built a Lune and I was blown away.   ;D

Like many others, I think it's the best effect I've built.  I perf boarded mine.  It's not boxed up yet as I was going to add the second LFO to modulate the primary LFO.

I didn't have a Vactrols so I used Silonex NSL 32 as it was cheap in the UK.  http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=3168773&N=401

When I get some more Vactrol's I'll see if it makes any difference.  The Silonex spec is close to that of a VTL5C2.

John Lyons

DR

Anyway you can post a sound clip of the Unimod?
The Unimod looks pretty neat. I think I'd like to give it a shot. Thanks for posting the link.

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

dr

....I could try!...I only have a mono microphone line in to the recorder thats on my computer-I am in the process of redrawing the layout and schematic diagram because its not very clear...I'm glad somebody else found it!....I will get a soundclip together as soon as I can figure out how to get that done!...............dr

squidsquad

Alex C

The Tremulus Lune seems to be a great trem, and there have been several great sound clips posted which have convinced me to give it a try. 

Quote from: squidsquad on July 20, 2006, 03:39:26 AM
The file is here (2nd to last at bottom):
http://www.schematicsforfree.com/archive/dir/Audio/Circuits/Sound_Effects_and_Synthesizers

On that same page, has anyone seen this?  Pain Field Generator (PDF file)   :icon_eek:

Morocotopo

Just finished making a Tremulus (the only tremolo I ever tried!) and I agree it´s GREAT! Very fun and hipnotizing. So many buttons to play with... ;D. I´m gonna try to fit everything into a 12X8,5 cm. box  :icon_eek:
I made the Tonepad PCB, used a silonex VTL32. I had LFO ticking in certain pots settings, solved it with the Fuzz Central suggestion of a .001uF cap between the 1 and 3 lugs of the trim pot (I actually used an external pot to have volume control). I would like to understand the theory behind this solution, it might be applicable to other effects that have ticking problems for all of us... anyone care to explain?

Morocotopo
Morocotopo

dr

....the Unimod I built doesn't tick-even when I breadboarded it.... :icon_neutral: