News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Tonepad DS 1

Started by Crawf, July 19, 2006, 01:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crawf

Hi Folks,I was considering building the DS 1 from the Tonepad site but fancy the idea of doing the keeley style mods to it as i build it, would this be possible or would it make more sense to pick up a Boss DS-1 and mod that. I`ve had a DS 1 before but sold it as it was a bit harsh and after hearing the Keeley demo for the modded version i thought i would like to give it a go.
One last thing, is the Tonepad version possibly better anyway than the Boss and dosn`t need modded? has anybody built one, if so what s your opinion of it, thanks in advance, Crawf. 

MartyMart

I built my own on veroboard, sounds FAB !
I would think that the true bypass helps a bit, go for it - why not ?
I included several mods on my DIY too ....

If you feel a little intimidated then just buy one and "mod away"

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

mojotron

If you use primo parts - the Tonepad DS-1 build would be much better - I used a JRC4558. But, this is not the easiest build - if you have built a few pedals then you should be fine. The Tonepad DS-1 build with a JRC4558 handles the Keeley mods a bit differently as the JRC opamp can push a lot more low-end. So, what I did was closer to the front end of the circuit I used cap values that were 1/2 of the Keeley values, in the middle of the circuit I used caps that were 2/3 of the Keeley values, and everything down stream of the opamp was unchanged from the Keeley values... So, the mods make this pedal a great pedal - no doubt about that - but there is some experimentation involved.

I listed most of the differences I did on the Tonepad DS-1 build in Melanhead's post on the DS-1 mods.

wampcat1

as cheap as they are, I think I'd just buy a used one and mod that.  :icon_biggrin:

Roobin

Is the tonepad DS quite different from the stock one? And which version did you guys build? The TL072 one?

wampcat1

Crawf

Thanks Folks,Mojotron, i have built a few pedals now, some from stripboard and and these from ready made PCB`s, BSIAB,Rodent,Rocket Fuzz,Tonebender,Orange Squeezer,AMZ Mosfet Boost and the Tubescreamer from Tonepad,all worked first time and i have gigged them all with great success, on my board at present is the Squeezer,BSIAB,Tubescreamer and the Boost,so i`m familiar with the task of building them but credit goes to the designers in my opinion and makers of the PCB`s, i`m only following the instructions, this brings me back to modding, i`m still naive to what changing components will acheive as my electronics knowledge is limited so if i built the tone pad DS 1 i would`nt know what to mod but if i bought a DS-1 i could copy the mods i have found on the net and the forum so decisions decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks again, Crawf. :)       

mojotron

Quote from: Crawf on July 19, 2006, 03:20:21 PM
Thanks Folks,Mojotron, i have built a few pedals now, some from stripboard and and these from ready made PCB`s, BSIAB,Rodent,Rocket Fuzz,Tonebender,Orange Squeezer,AMZ Mosfet Boost and the Tubescreamer from Tonepad,all worked first time and i have gigged them all with great success, on my board at present is the Squeezer,BSIAB,Tubescreamer and the Boost,so i`m familiar with the task of building them but credit goes to the designers in my opinion and makers of the PCB`s, i`m only following the instructions, this brings me back to modding, i`m still naive to what changing components will acheive as my electronics knowledge is limited so if i built the tone pad DS 1 i would`nt know what to mod but if i bought a DS-1 i could copy the mods i have found on the net and the forum so decisions decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks again, Crawf. :)       
The Tonepad DS-1 is really no tougher than the TS build really. Experimenting with mods may require some knowledge of the circuit - my comments at http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=32443.80 might be enough to follow to do this.

Crawf

Hi again, thanks for all the replies, i took the plunge and bought a DS-1 from e-bay and the mod sheet from Fuzzcentral so i could try the mods as i`ve never modded a stock pedal before,what i was wondering was, if i cant get the 1uf caps asked for from Fuzzcentral which are Panasonic P4675-ND can i use miniature 1uf caps which i bought from Rapid Electronics here in the UK made by Wima i think or should i try and get what is specified on the sheet, thanks again, Crawf.

http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?id=-1&tier1=Electronic+Components&tier2=Capacitors&tier3=Polyester&tier4=MKS2+miniature+polyester+capacitors&moduleno=62510

wampcat1

Quote from: Crawf on July 21, 2006, 12:57:18 PM
Hi again, thanks for all the replies, i took the plunge and bought a DS-1 from e-bay and the mod sheet from Fuzzcentral so i could try the mods as i`ve never modded a stock pedal before,what i was wondering was, if i cant get the 1uf caps asked for from Fuzzcentral which are Panasonic P4675-ND can i use miniature 1uf caps which i bought from Rapid Electronics here in the UK made by Wima i think or should i try and get what is specified on the sheet, thanks again, Crawf.

http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?id=-1&tier1=Electronic+Components&tier2=Capacitors&tier3=Polyester&tier4=MKS2+miniature+polyester+capacitors&moduleno=62510

That'll work just fine.

bw

Crawf

Cheers Brian, I`ll let you know how i get on and if i can figure out to upload sound clips i`ll post some of the modded pedal(maybe someone can point me in the right directon as how to do or do i need some web space to post them on?) thanks again,Crawf.