OT - Leslie 700 cabinet

Started by AL, September 12, 2003, 08:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL

I just picked up a Leslie 700 cabinet for practically nothing.  But to get it to work with a guitar I need a preamp (which I found the schematic for) and apparently I need a crossover.  The crossovers are being sold for around $90.  This is a little pricey for my taste and I would prefer to build it.  Does anyone have a schematic or any insight?  The preamp II and the crossover (LCO-1) are here http://www.trekii.com/  

Thanks

AL

Ammscray

Quote from: ALI just picked up a Leslie 700 cabinet for practically nothing.  But to get it to work with a guitar I need a preamp (which I found the schematic for) and apparently I need a crossover.  The crossovers are being sold for around $90.  This is a little pricey for my taste and I would prefer to build it.  Does anyone have a schematic or any insight?  The preamp II and the crossover (LCO-1) are here http://www.trekii.com/  

Thanks

AL

Don't use the crossover if you're playing guitar through it...the crossover is mainly to limit the bass so it doesn't blow the driver or rotor speaker with a keyboard...since an organ puts out tons of bass, much more than a guitar, if you use the x-over with guitar you'll have a very thin sound lacking bass! Not good...on my 122 I disconnected the x-over and it came to life man...you wouldn't believe the difference...

also, don't use the existing amp if yours has one, bypass that and use a good tube guitar amp for better fidelity...the leslie amps are EQ'd for organ obviously and sound rather flat with guitars...

There's nothing like a leslie speaker, no pedal will EVER reproduce that sound, it's just impossible...one of the truly great inventions in sound
"Scram kid, ya botha me!"

AL

Ammscray thank you for the insight.  I just need to get this straight - don't use the combo preamp (it's a footpedal device recommended for converting the guitar signal) instead use a tube amp.  Do I just use the preamp section or the whole tube amp?  And how do convert that from my 9 pin connector?  Sorry for all the questions - I just picked it up yesterday and haven't had time to dive into it.  Thanks again

AL

Ammscray

Quote from: ALAmmscray thank you for the insight.  I just need to get this straight - don't use the combo preamp (it's a footpedal device recommended for converting the guitar signal) instead use a tube amp.  Do I just use the preamp section or the whole tube amp?  And how do convert that from my 9 pin connector?  Sorry for all the questions - I just picked it up yesterday and haven't had time to dive into it.  Thanks again

[http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/faq/all_leslies.html]

here's a link I hope it shows up, with all the different leslie models...it has alot of cool info...with alot of them you can still use the preamp to switch the speeds only, and bypass the rest...that's the best bet for the best sound quality...

it may take some figuring out the re-wire but it'll be worth it...yours I do know has a solid state amp which you won't want to use! I use Fender and Marshall amps to drive my 122 to get good tube grind like a hammond...

also if your 700 has internal speakers as well as the horn and rotor, disconnect those because they take away from the rotating sound...

one more thing: to keep the horn from blowing at high volume levels, put a 10uF electrolytic cap in series with the hot lead of the driver...you'll need this when not using the crossover, and it matches the volume better between the horn and rotor too...good luck!
"Scram kid, ya botha me!"

AL

Ammscray,

thanks for all the help.  It's very much appreciated.

AL

Rob Strand

QuoteDon't use the crossover if you're playing guitar through it.

Just for the record, Ammscray is talking about the low frequency crossover between the (large) rotary speaker and the non moving bass driver. The 10uF cap Ammscray mentioned acts as a crossover for the horn, you need this crossover otherwise the horn will fry.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.