Tremulus lune + Phase45|replacements

Started by QSQCaito, July 20, 2006, 12:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QSQCaito

Hihi, it's me again.
   I was wondering if any of you knew if any led and ldr worked for the Tremulus lune, and if they could be put one touching each other in a small tube, sealing both ends.

And for the Phase 45, it says 2x - 2N5952, or other FETs will work, do you know which? And 1N5230(4.7V zener) Do you know any replacement?

Thanks a lot!!
Bye Bye

Diego Andrés Cao

PS: Forgot to add, if you know any other phase that's not very difficult to do and has easy to get materials(because i live in Argentina), welcome to it :D

Bye bye
D.A.C

pbrommer

I was wondering if any of you knew if any led and ldr worked for the Tremulus lune, and if they could be put one touching each other in a small tube, sealing both ends. -- yes, you can. Hopefully, the tube would be opaque (non-see-through).

And for the Phase 45, it says 2x - 2N5952, or other FETs will work, do you know which?
Many will work, BUT you have to watch the pinout. I think the 2n5952 is DGS (going left to right if you put the flat side toward you). Many other FETs (such as J201, MPF102, 2n5457, etc) are DSG pinout. If you cange the layout or bend the leads, you'll be just fine.

As for the zener diode, I don't think there's a direct replacement (don't quote me). Good luck.

Patrick
  • SUPPORTER

stm

As for the zener you can go with a 1N4732 (same 4.7V, 1W power instead of 1/2 W).  The 1N47xx zeners are easier to find than the 1N52xx series.  In case of desperation, you can go along with two GREEN LEDs.  In this circuit you don't need the exact 4.7V, just something relatively stable within 4 and 5 volts.  I even used an 78L05 voltage regulator for the reference voltage instead of the zener, so as to have better temp stability and less dependence on the supply voltage.

As for the JFET try using MPF102 for the Phase 45.  I've heard they are available in Argentina, and I've used them successfully in a Phase 45 clone.  Just find a matched pair.

QSQCaito

Wow.. you guys rock ;) i found the 1N4732 zener diode and  JFET  MPF102..  always search in the same page, which is one of the most complete here in argentina( if any argentine reading: http://www.gmelectronica.com.ar/)

Regarding the LED/LDR  ANY led and ANY ldr will work? or they have to be specific?

Thankyou a lot

Bye Bye

Dieg Andrés Cao
D.A.C

petemoore

For the Tremulous lune, I think you might need a specific LDR, one that speedily changes resistance and...IIRC goes to a low resistance...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

QSQCaito

OK, so, a normal led, high bright, any special color?? well.. for the ldr, any special resistance value?? it justs nned to speedily changes resistance? cause i've searched for some, but all have different ohms, values, was weird :S

Thank you!

Bye Bye

Diego Andrés Cao
D.A.C

QSQCaito

I did some search and found out that the range of the ldr should from 5k to 500k, is that strictrly important?

Take a look to what i can get:

Resistance to ligh(Kohms)-Ressistance to darkness(Mohms)

6.0 - 3.5 
3.5 - 0.10
4.4 - 0.17
2.1 - 3.3
1.0 - 2.5
0.4 - 1
9.3 - 0.56
9.0 - 0.6
0.6 - 0.12
0.5 - 0.3
12.0 - 0.6
0.3 - 0.07
11.4 - 0.16

I think that the closest one are 9.0 - 0.6(which goes from 9k to 600k) and 9.3 - 0.56(9.3k to 560k)

But maybe it's better to use anyother in the list, or just none..

Thanks a lot!!

Bye bye!

Diego Andrés Cao

D.A.C

QSQCaito

Forgot to add, the tremulus lune uses 2 ic, a tl072, and a 4558.. ive found several 4558 that i can buy, the CD4558, NE4558D:Dual general-purpose operational amplifier. RC4558NB - Dual General Purpose Op Amp -  RC4558T DUAL OP AMP

Well, i made it obvious by this point, all but one are dual opamps..is anyone better than the others? so the questions answers itself, but a new one appears, why using a TL072 and a 4558, instead of two TL072??

Thank you very much

Bye bye!

Diego Andrés Cao

PS Excuse my english.
D.A.C

petemoore

Can't find the schematic...
  BUt IIRC that LDR is right in the signal path, so changing it's resistance is what attenuates volume, providing the tremolo's attenuation.
  Greater minimum [say if it goes only down to ~20k for example] resistance of the LDR in this position would allow a little bit less signal pass at minimum resistance...not quite as loud, which in turn would slightly lessen the range from loudest to quietest...maybe slightly decresing the tremolo effect or...since there could be a tick...slightly less output before ticking...of course maybe it doesn't tick so much if the top of the sweep is just slightly lower volume...
  I think Small Bear sells the Vactrol for the Tremulus Lune.

QSQCaito

Schems are with the project files at tonepad.com

If i didn't understand wrong, there won't be much difference if i use a LDR that goes from 9k to 600k right?

Unfortunately Small bear is not a choice for me, prices of shipping and taxes of over 50%, too high to pay.

Thank you very much!

Diego Andrés Cao
D.A.C

petemoore

If i didn't understand wrong, there won't be much difference if i use a LDR that goes from 9k to 600k right?  
  I'd *Guess it'd be about nominal to hard to tell or..should trem real nice, I think it's the high resistance in the case of these differences...which causes the signal to nearly drop out completely, which makes for the deep trem sound.
  I think you'll like the TremLune fantastic with the LDR you can get, it probably takes a shave of a hair off the output, which is anyway adjsutable a little above unity without tick IIRC. LDR;s are always 'gangly' and take up alot of space, and I put mine above the board, so can be pretty easy to change...

QSQCaito

Ye! i'll use that one then (CdS 550  9.0Kohms-0.6Mohms, the 550 i think it's nm, or 55miliseconds, i think thats fast enough right? )
According to this page http://www.geocities.com/thetonegod/rockncontrol/rock.html as it is a CdS i should use a green led.

I can get RECTANGULAR  green  v3  mA40 2.3x4.7 mm
round  green  v2.2 mA20   10mm 

well, 3 mm, 4mm, 5mm, anyone should work as fine.. recommend anyone in special??

So the LDR problem is solved hopefully :D
Regarding all the pots of the tremulus lune, they should be Linear, or Audio?
the 25k trim pot can be replaced with a 25k(a, o b) to control gain?

That's it for the tremulus lune, sorry for much questioning, and excuse my english.

Thanks thanks, alot

Bye Bye

Diego Andrés Cao
D.A.C

jamesymurray

Sheer coincidence that i have stumbled upon this thread.

I am also looking to build these two effects, and living in the UK, am unable to find the FET's or Zener without paying way over the odds for 'obsolete components'

Are there any commonly available replacements?

many thanks

jamesy

slacker

you can get the zeners from Maplins
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=zener&ModuleNo=19090&doy=22m8
not the same model but they'll do the same job.
I don't know about a UK supplier for the JFet but you can get them from Banzai in Germany
http://www.banzaieffects.com/2N-Types-c-368-p-3.html

hope this helps and welcome aboard :)

jamesymurray

many thanks slacker!

perusing banzai now, they are cheaper than most places over here. might be worth putting a big order in.

jamesy

ildar

FWIW, I used an unmatched pair of J201s in my phase 45, and it sounds beautiful.