Swirling the notches and Swelling the notches not sweeping

Started by markphaser, July 21, 2006, 01:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug_H

Quote from: gez on July 24, 2006, 09:07:11 AM

Running everything thru a trem stage isn't as musical as just running just lowest frequencies thru (in my experience).

Something tells me this may give it the pulsing kind of "kick" my Roto-machine does so well- and is probably what is missing from most vibe/chorus pedals.

Doug

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 24, 2006, 07:59:25 AMNow the $64,000 question: Is the location of the notches and volume dip during the sweep cycle appropriate without further modification?  In other words, if the synchronized volume dip occurred at the same point where the notches were situated at the highest end of their range, would that sound more Leslie-like, or is the appropriate arrangement for the notches to be at the lowest point in their range when that dip kicks in?

In OTA all-pass stages lowest point of sweep = max phase shift (equiv of single rotor furthest away from listener).  With OTA VCA, lowest point of sweep = quietest, so no need to invert LFO waveform: they tally.

Running everything thru a trem stage isn't as musical as just running lowest frequencies thru in my experience.

Thanks, Gez.  Useful information.  We have all experienced enough postings about rotating speaker simulation here to know there will ALWAYS be another way to do it "properly" in the analog domain. :icon_wink:  If simply adding another OTA stage in the sequence, with a little bit of Iabc adjustment increases realism by 20%, though, that seems like a fair trade to me.

You know how there are automotive repair shops (usually the dealers) that try to make your car "like new", and others (who often deal with taxi drivers) who just aim to get the car back on the road?  The add-on OTA suggestion is more like the latter than the former: not a "stunningly realistic simulation", but something just a little closer to getting that sound "on the road".

Edit: What IS that schematic that was just posted?

Andre

It is part of a MIDI organ module by JVC, with an electronic leslie buit in.

André

puretube

The Tone God

Well I guess that this thread has trailed into an new direction which while informative has damaged my test so I'll explain myself. I was not being funny or a jerk in my reply. I was attempting to test the theory that many have had of MP. I wanted to find out if MP is a modified chat bot. Since I cannot run a turing test on him I formated my posts to test for various algorithms hence why I asked to be the only one to reply in the thread, to isolate his response. Now that others have jumped in I cannot assure the response. I'll try again another time I guess.

Andrew

gez

Quote from: Doug_H on July 24, 2006, 09:12:07 AM

Running everything thru a trem stage isn't as musical as just running just lowest frequencies thru (in my experience).

Something tells me this may give it the pulsing kind of "kick" my Roto-machine does so well- and is probably what is missing from most vibe/chorus pedals.

I'll take your 'kick' and raise you a 'Throb'.   :icon_razz:

If anyone tries this, amplitude modulation should be really subtle to get a realistic sound.  Only my opinion/experience mind (each to their own).
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

puretube

"they" been busy for decades, tryin` to get the tremolo out of the chorus...  :icon_eek:

Transmogrifox

Quote from: The Tone God on July 24, 2006, 02:44:06 PM
Well I guess that this thread has trailed into an new direction which while informative has damaged my test so I'll explain myself. I was not being funny or a jerk in my reply. I was attempting to test the theory that many have had of MP. I wanted to find out if MP is a modified chat bot. Since I cannot run a turing test on him I formated my posts to test for various algorithms hence why I asked to be the only one to reply in the thread, to isolate his response. Now that others have jumped in I cannot assure the response. I'll try again another time I guess.

Andrew

Why don't you PM markphaser if you're so concerned about him being a chatbot?
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.