stratoblaster build report

Started by cakeworks, July 22, 2006, 02:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cakeworks

I dunno what you're supposed to say in these but... well it works! It sounds alright too.

I have a 2N5245 for the transistor instead of a 2N5457 simply because i picked up the wrong thing in the shop. I dont know what a difference it makes but this works just fine. It's not in an enclosure yet. In fact it doesn't even have a switch. I'm wanting to do that all tonight and I'm trying to find a way to put an led in just for good measure but i'm only using a dpdt switch and I don't have the components for a mil bypass.

I do, however have the trannie for an led trick but not the resistor. Resistors add up don't they? Do i specifically need a 330k resistor or will another do? Also are there ways of making stomboxes look sweet without having to etch them (I am not nearly at the level I presume i must be to do that kind of tricky stuff.)

I'm rather excited. I finally built an effect that works, not only that but it worked first time!
-Jack

Is that a plastic washing basket?

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

brett

Hi
Congrats on you build.  Stratoblasters seem to be really good boosters.  (It's my No 1 booster)

QuoteAlso are there ways of making stomboxes look sweet without having to etch them

If you use etch primer, you can then spray diecast boxes with auto paint for a quality finish.  If you have a floodlight or heater, you can also use enamel paint and harden it by baking it.  Enamel paint is fairly soft unless you bake it.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

markm

Word has it that the Stratoblaster is a real nice booster.
I build one as one of my first perf builds and never got it to fire up.
I'm gonna have to etch a board for one and find out fer myself!

MartyMart

Congrats, :D This was one of my first ( 5th ) build and makes a nice booster.
I limit my 3DPDT builds, so don't have an LED in mine, I think mine was on
perf board too.

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Mark Hammer

I combined a Stratoblaster and the passive Vari-Tone type tone control circuit from Anderton's second EPFM book into a single pedal.  The midrange cut that the tone-control circuit provides is passive and introduces some loss.  I combined it with the Stratoblaster so that the passive loss would be compensated for.  Since you can vary the depth of the passive mid-cut, setting it to minimum cut and setting the Stratoblaster to max gain, provides the option of uncoloured boost.  Given the historical origins and function of each circuit, I decided to call it the "Hippy Dippy".  A little nod to George Carlin there :icon_wink: - Al Sleet the hippy dippy weatherman ("Forecast, dark overnight, getting lighter towards sunrise").

cakeworks

Sounds sweet Mr. Hammer! I'm having trouble with the pot. It seems to, up until about 7, not boost at all. then from 7 to 8 it quickly reaches full gain which is what 9 and 10 are.

It's wierd. Is it the pot or the circuit which does that, is something wrong or is that how it should be?
-Jack

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

oldrocker

Just built this one after reading this.   Wow!! This is a nice clean booster.  Simple to build too.  I've been wanting to build one and I'm glad I waited.  Just gotta box it up now.  Thanks for the heads up on this one.

Toney

+1

I de-bugged one for a friend recently and was totally taken with it.

THAT is a really nice clean booster. :D

Toney

Cakeworks...It does that with a lin pot....use a log (A) one and you'll be right!

cakeworks

thank you sir, off to get one... tomorrow...

no shops are open on a sunday here. such a hicktown. :(

this forum is so great. great not only because it's members posess so much knowledge, but because they are willing to share it and bare with young fools like myself.
thank you all.
-Jack

Gilles C

I built it when the designer offered on this forum some pcbs he had left from when he went comercial with it.

That was an easy build, and stayed in one of my guitars since then.

Some good info about it.

http://alembic.stores.yahoo.net/blaster.html

Gilles

KerryF

I built one on a breadboard yesterday, and it doesnt seem to work.  Im kindof mad because I heard its good so I wanted to test it out, but it wont work for some reason.

oldrocker

Call1800,  I breadboarded this first and it worked right away.  When I perfed it I forgot to ground the 12K (R3).  I didn't work at all until I found that so maybe double check the grounds.

KerryF

ok thanks, i will check it again/