AMZ Minibooster......LOADS of GAIN!

Started by markm, July 23, 2006, 12:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markm

WOW!
Now here's a circuit that really packs a punch :o
I've been meesing around with the minibooster the past couple of days and like the sound alot.
I'd like to obtain a bit more control over the drive and gain of this animal, any suggestions?
Actually, I'm so impressed with alot of Jack's stuff that I just ordered his CD-Rom from AMZ!!

Gilles C

Many years ago, I ordered Jack's Minibooster Letter, and found many interesting variants for it.

http://www.muzique.com/amproj.htm

You should order it...

Gilles

newbie builder

It's been on my to do list to order the AMZ CD sinze I have liked the mini and mosfet boost so moost. I think the minibooster is really more of a overdrive pedal than a boost! Packs quite a nice punch. I'm pretty sure the CD has info on how to add a tone and volume knob to the minibooster? I could be wrong though. Great little fun pedal.
//

Stephen

Yeah TONSSSSSSSSSSSS of gain with J201 fets.... Dual boosters....YIKES

Hook up a switch and put it in a box and screeeeeeeeeeachhhahhhhhh...

You will squel

I find the MPF 102 to be the best yet you still will squell...I have got three that do...

The mini booster is cool for in front of a Llama works good , behind a mini tubescreamer design..

The SHAKA uses it in the last gain stage......self biasing really cool an extra behind any circuit that needs a punch..Watch out for the type of FETS though!!

I cant get a Dual Booster that is two together to not squel :icon_evil:

Everyone uses the minibooster BSIAB, FATBOOST, etc....SWEETTHING...

I have hundreds of 1 meg resistors and fets....I have been messing with this since 7-8 years ago.....In everything..

newbie builder

I love the mpf102 in my minibooster- much more sparkle and brightness.
//

Gilles C

I remember now that I also used the MPF102 to build the first one. It made me fall in love with it.

Then my friend built one.

Then I built a few other ones with a J201, etc...

Gilles

Xavier

Well I told once. The mini booster is a full blown distortion pedal , not even an overdrive, at least to my ears and using J201's. As a booster I understand a device which is able to increase your output level, and maybe adding *some* grit.

This being said, I didn't like the Mini-booster -however, the mosfet booster is a GREAT booster, clean, fat, and LOUD...- , but the BSIAB is basically two cascaded miniboosters and it's a fantastic distortion pedal (no wonder though ;D)

markm

I'm wondering if the MPF102 would be not as "gainey".
However, I've got to beleive there's somewhere within the circuit where one cut add a pot as a Gain control.
Anyone know?

Gilles C

You could use a larger resistor at the source of the lower FET, and make it a gain pot. Try a 10K or a 4.7K trim pot for your experiments.

Most circuits use a gain pot in series with a capacitor, and connect them in paralell with the source resistor.

You could try the Fat Boostered circuit for a variant.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=93&Itemid=121

Btw, if you want to try a circuit based on the Mini-Booster, and would like to do a trip in the past, try the Shaka Braddah III.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/wb/pages/posts/shaka-braddah-iii-overdrive31.php

I tried all the Shaka versions back them, and the III is still the standard for me. Enough that I think I will make a stripboard layout for it someday, just to try it again, even if I already have a few pcb versions of the Shakas...

A suggestion would be to try another tone control, as in this version:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/shakaDH.jpg

The Tone Control is always the part that I find I need to change because of my amp or guitar for example.

Gilles

newbie builder

The mpf102 does make it sound less "gainey"- that's why i settled on it. I'm planning on building the fat boostered because I'm a HUGE fan of Paul cochrane's work and anything he's designed is worth a build as far as I'm concerned.
//

markm

Funny you should mention that,
Just etched a PCB for the Fat Boostered last night!

Gilles C

Cool!

I can't wait to hear fresh comments about it. And I've got many FETs to use now.

I would like to work on a few new layouts for these older circuits when I have time.

Gilles

newbie builder

MarkM I have to say your taste in effects is VERY similar to mine. folk fuzz, dod250, sparkle boost, mini booster, now fat boostered! Tell me what you think of it! It's on my short list of things to build- green ringer than fat boostered and the green ringer should be a quick one!
//

nooneknows

Quote from: Xavier on July 24, 2006, 09:40:50 AM
This being said, I didn't like the Mini-booster -however, the mosfet booster is a GREAT booster, clean, fat, and LOUD...

Hi,
I've always found the mosfet booster way too shrill to my ears: my setup is Stratocaster + 50w Jcm800 head, modified to plexi spec, or a Jcm 800 50W combo, modified to JTM45 tone shaping (I'm a Marshall junkie). What instruments are you using?