T-Rex Mudhoney

Started by MartyMart, July 24, 2006, 06:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

I've just "borrowed" one from a shop to try out, I guessed that it MUST have something to do with a
Big Muff, judging by the name so .....
I had to be VERY carefull, any small "chip" and I have to buy it !
It has standard gain/tone/vol controls and a "boost" switch.
Couldn't get to both sides of the board without taking everything apart ( dont want a £130 bill ! )
It appears to be an opamp OD with boost switch out, very nice but only "mild" OD even flat out.
opamp was "OP07" ?
Boost switch looks like it switches in a couple of BMP stages ( BC546C ) along with corresponding caps/diodes etc.
Could be the more "simple" Muff circuit, but when cranked it has the BMP sound for sure.
Has a momentary switch and J201 Jfet's/ 14pin ic which looks like a switching system ( can't get to the ic )
Jfet could be a buffer upfront.
Very nicely built, with PCB's "on edge" and pots on second small PCB.
In the 1590BB there's room for a whole other circuit and a couple of switches !!!
I'm puzzled why the boost switch is a tiny finger operated "push button" when another dpdt or 3dpdt would easily
fit inside ??

So, seems like a "mild" opamp clipper/Big Muff hybrid , good tone control and very flexible :D

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Traintrack

Almost bought one, sounds a bit interesting. I thought it was more of a fuzz. Thanks for the under the hood.

Sam

It's indeed a nice pedal. I've owned one for a few years and it has seldom left my pedalboard. You can actually dial in very nice mild OD sounds as well as massive BMP fuzz. Not the best OD, nor the best fuzz but a really good and flexible distortion pedal. Too bad it's so hard to take it apart for close PCB examination...  ;)
"Where's the paper bag that holds the liquor?
Just in case I feel the need to puke." - Silver Jews

MartyMart

Quote from: Sam on July 25, 2006, 03:36:19 AM
It's indeed a nice pedal. I've owned one for a few years and it has seldom left my pedalboard. You can actually dial in very nice mild OD sounds as well as massive BMP fuzz. Not the best OD, nor the best fuzz but a really good and flexible distortion pedal. Too bad it's so hard to take it apart for close PCB examination...  ;)

Perhaps as you "own one" you could do just that ??
I just borrowed this one and dont want to get stuck with it after I "scratch it" getting all the pots and jacks off !!

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Sam

Quote from: MartyMart on July 25, 2006, 04:04:13 AM
Quote from: Sam on July 25, 2006, 03:36:19 AM

Perhaps as you "own one" you could do just that ??
I just borrowed this one and dont want to get stuck with it after I "scratch it" getting all the pots and jacks off !!

MM.

Well, yes. I guess I could.  ;D

Examining the interior I got somewhat intimidated by the intricate PCB arrangement and never took it complete apart scared of ruining it completely. Though I'm more skilled in pedalmaking and electronics now, I have no experience in tracing or reverse engineering.
"Where's the paper bag that holds the liquor?
Just in case I feel the need to puke." - Silver Jews