DIY flanger builds?

Started by sfr, July 31, 2006, 03:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfr

It's occurred to me that my flanger is really the only non-diy pedal on my gigging pedal board, other than my tuner and a volume pedal I sometimes use.  I kind of think I'd like to tackle building one,  I think I've gotten to the point that I could do it, although for something that complex, I can guarantee I'd probably need a layout of some sort, not just a schematic. 

Are there any flanger designs out there that folks here have built and liked?  Particularly, I guess I'm looking for something capable of making the deep "jet plane" style flanges - I use my flanger with a momentary switch and some pretty sea-sick settings.  I have chorus and phaser pedals for everything else, although I certainly am not looking for a one-trick-pony build. 

I was thinking of tackling the Electric Mistress project after seeing the postings about that here, but I have no idea where to get my hands on the SAD1024.  I'm leaning towards building the Ibanez flanger over at Tonepad, simply because I have the MN series chips here in the parts bin.  (I never did figure out *where* they came from - I remember pulling them excitedly from something, though.)  But I seem to remember there being a non-clone type design from someone on the board or something a long while back, but I can't remember what it was called and I'm having trouble locating it in the search.

Too long a post again - regardless - any recommendations?
sent from my orbital space station.

Toney

Ok...you mean the FL-301 right?

Well, I have a whole lot of flangers and its my personal favorite, my a long mile.

I love it.... I'm not going to go into long flowery descitions.

I'd say just go for it, can't go wrong!

RaceDriver205

Yeah, the fl-301's not bad, but I think you want to be going for the UltraFlanger.
You can get a fair bit of jet-engine out of that thing:
Check it out at this link under "New FX Demos" www.tothemax.web1000.com, sound sample is of use with beyond-metal-distortion.

A layout PDF file is somewhere here, "do a search" etc. Not a one-trick pony, indeed it works just as good as a chorus as it does a flanger.
I didn't get any jet-engine from the Tonepad Ibanez flanger, its only good clean.