Fulltone Fulldrive Schematic

Started by KerryF, July 27, 2006, 08:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KerryF

Yes, I have searched in the forum, but I cant find the schematic for this.  I have seen a few links, but when I click on them, they are expired.  If anyone could just help me out with a schematic, or even a layout, that would be nice. ;)

thanks

hairyandy

When in doubt, Google:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?%20option=content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=118

Although I just happened to remember that it was referred to as the "Fulldive".
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

Torchy

Ive mailed you the full project in a zip file.

KerryF

george

isn't it just a tube screamer with a couple of changed components and modified opamp feedback loop circuit?

phaeton

Quote from: george on July 28, 2006, 12:06:00 AM
isn't it just a tube screamer with a couple of changed components and modified opamp feedback loop circuit?

Isn't everything?   :P
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

mojotron

Quote from: phaeton on July 28, 2006, 12:48:20 AM

Well, the quality of components is pretty important too. You have to use decent parts to get as good of a result as Fulltone. That said, if you use BB or try some other opamps you could have something even nicer than the FD2.

MartyMart

I had the obvious "JRC4558D" in mine to start with and after several swops, settled on an LM833
Seems to have a good overall tone to me and is quiet too.
The "swop opamp and remember the last tone" get's kind of difficult though ... without 2x units !

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Bernardduur

I really dig the ones with a LM308 and a TL071 in it (308 for the feedback loop); the sound gets so "bassy" and well articulated.
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

george

Quote from: phaeton on July 28, 2006, 12:48:20 AM

yeah well that's your particular universe I guess ...

my point is, you could just get a TS PCB from tonepad (or vero layout from Torchy  or whatever) change a few components and modify your off-board wiring and ...

voila!  instant fooldrive!

I just think there's maybe easier ways to get to JRC4558d heaven, is all

beatstrat

Speaking of 'Tonal Heaven' - I can't get my homemade TS-type to sound like the store-bought model.  It is tonally dark - like the tone control is rolled most of the way off or something.  It sounds too bright when the tone knob is at '10' and too dark anywhere below that.  I was using a 0.22uf cap in the tone pot spot, but have reduced that to 0.1uf and now to 0.047uf - it's gotten a little better, but is not 'correct'.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm using the std/suggested pot value for the tone knob and also most other parts are as scripted; the only changes being 3.3K/0.1uf @ pin 2 and clipping diode selection.

A forum search turned up info stating that this is a common issue, although I didn't find a fix for it in my search.  Any tips?

Thanks.

Toney

When you say the "correct" tone pot, you're referring to the w taper one, right?

It's the first thing I'd think of from your description.

Bernardduur

Did you use a 22k pot or an 25k pot?

cd

I love it how this has become public domain knowledge that is freely discussed.  I once briefly mentioned how to mod a TS into something approaching a FD and got a nasty lawsuit this, lawsuit that email from Fulltone.

phaeton

Quote from: cd on July 28, 2006, 10:38:10 AM
I love it how this has become public domain knowledge that is freely discussed.  I once briefly mentioned how to mod a TS into something approaching a FD and got a nasty lawsuit this, lawsuit that email from Fulltone.

That's just plain silly.  Aren't a majority of the TS mods about as old as the TS?

Maybe it's all TS lore, but i *do* recall reading about sometime in the 1980s that junking the JRC4558D and dropping in something from the TL0x2 family was all the rage for awhile, at least until the whole 'retro' thing of the early-mid 90s brought it all back around.

I dunno.  I used my TS in a metal context in the 1980s and 1990s.

Quoteif that's your particular universe

Not exactly, but the TS *is* a great circuit.  It's not the be all end all of everything, but out of all the sundry distortion-makers out there, it's one of the winners for sure.
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

beatstrat

Toney/Bernard,

I'm using a 25K-B pot.

burnt fingers

That's funny.  Mike probably took all his ideas for the fulldrive from forums like this to begin with.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

Bernardduur

Quote from: gtrwrks on July 28, 2006, 03:11:51 PM
Toney/Bernard,

I'm using a 25K-B pot.

Sorry, is that log or lin?

I used a 25k pot, lin, that worked great and got very close to the real thing

cd

Quote from: burnt fingers on July 28, 2006, 03:19:33 PM

That's funny.  Mike probably took all his ideas for the fulldrive from forums like this to begin with.

Not likely, Fulltone was building pedals in 1995, which predates even the original Ampage FX section.  Back then posting about FX was limited to Usenet.