Amplifier single button footswitch????

Started by AC30Dirty, July 27, 2006, 09:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC30Dirty

Hey guys, I have a friend that has a SWR 550X bass head with a built in subwave effect. However when he purchased the amp it didn't come with the footswitch to switch on or switch off the effect. So, I was wondering if a pedal like this could be inexpensively made. I was recomended something like the Cliff FCR6918P Single Button Amp Footswitch. It is rather cheap but, I would just like to know how to build one myself. Thanks

chokeyou

chances are, all the footswitch does is connect the tip to the sleeve of a cable, so you can certainly make your own. all you need is a small enclosure, an SPDT switch, a bit of wire, a mono jack, and an extra cord.

if the swr is wired for LED indicator on the footswitch, then you can add an LED, but I'm not sure with that amp how its connected. I think I've seen an LED with a diode between the tip/sleeve...but I dont use footswitches with amps anymore as I'm a single channel guy and have nothing to compare it against for you

http://www.geocities.com/negauneemusic/WSW.swf might be of interest for you...most likely the most basic version of what you need is what that guy shows you how to modify and take it a step further with 2 footswitchable loops for effects and whatnot.

christobean

Quote from: chokeyou on July 27, 2006, 09:44:10 PM
chances are, all the footswitch does is connect the tip to the sleeve of a cable, so you can certainly make your own. all you need is a small enclosure, an SPDT switch, a bit of wire, a mono jack, and an extra cord.

i second that...i built one for my amp this way.

AC30Dirty

Thanks guys for your input. That link is interesting. But I dont really know if its what i need. I just need a basic on off switch to turn on the subwave (octave) effect that the amp has built in it. The amp only has one 1/4" input in the back where the pedal would be connected. Maybe im just not getting it.... ???

chokeyou

the loops are actually used for your input signal, its meant to be used with a clean/dirty 2 channel amp...dirty you can have your gains or whatever you like on dirty, clean you can have your boosts or modulation effects or whatever, and instead of tapdancing turning stuff off and on when you want to change the channel, you can have it setup to fully engage everything you want to the channel you switch to...I dont know, you could set it up so your friend can run a muff at the same time as the subwave effect or something to that effect. Mostly I included the link so you can see what a footswitch w/ LED looks like prior to those mods, the picture before the mods are added should be pretty clear to you, I'm not sure why they use a DPDT stomp in there as its useless for channel switching...unless its meant to be a fail safe, more rugged switch.  ???

John Lyons

Try this to start:
Take a regular 1/4" guitar/instrument cable.
Plug plug one end into the sub wave jack on the bass amp.
Get a piece of metal, a dime, paper clip, etc etc. and connect the tip to the sleeve of the end that's not in the amp. If the effect comes on then all you have to do is get a small stomp box case. Drill a hole for a 1/4" jack, put in a DPDT stomp switch and connect one wire from the tip of the jack to the a middle lug of the switch and one wire from the jacks ground to either of the ouside lugs of the switch (keeping to the same line of lugs of the switch)

If you want an LED you will have to go find a schematic for the amp and figure out how they did it.

Let us know if it works.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

AC30Dirty

Hey Basicaudio, I tried what u suggested and it worked. So i got a DPDT switch and a 1/4" mono jack and wired it up the way u suggested and it works except i have to clicl the switch twice to turn it on and off. Maybe its because i used a mono jack and not a stereo jack. could you confirm this?

zpyder

AC30Dirty:

That is because you bought a LATCHING switch and you want a NON-LATCHING (aka momentary) switch.

What is happening is this:

Your effect is switched when the following situation occurs in this order: 1) the tip & sleeve of that 1/4" are connected, AND THEN 2) they are disconnected.
The latching switch you bought will, when pressed once, connect the two leads, and then when pressed again disconnect them (hence having to press twice).  With a momentary switch, the connection is only made WHILE YOUR FOOT IS PUSHING DOWN, once you release it disconnects, thus your effect would switch.

Also, you only need a SPST momentary switch... don't bother buying a DPDT or a SPDT unless they're cheaper (but still as sturdy!!!)

Please try this and let me know how it goes

zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.