Tone Machine weirdness because of grounded input in bypass?

Started by bluesdevil, July 29, 2006, 01:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesdevil

I finally boxed up the Foxx Tone Machine clone I built a month ago, but something strange happens when I stomp it on. The volume ramps up from silent to normal with the signal broken up in between. It happens rather quickly but still annoying. I didn't build it with the "swell" mod and it was fine when I had it hooked up to my breadboard/test jig before putting it in the enclosure..... I also disconnected the LED without any difference.
        I'm just wondering, has anybody out there experienced this with the stomp switch wired with the circuit's  input grounded while in bypass? Out of habit that's how I wire all my bypass switches now, but maybe this particular circuit is affected adversely by it.
         I'm gonna go ahead and rewire to normal, but I'm still curious to hear from others if they've had problems with that as well.
        Thank you for tuning in to another episode of my recent build mishaps.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

Processaurus

is the input cap shorted out or something, so that the inputs bias gets messed with when the input gets grounded?  Maybe check the DC level on the effect side of the input cap to check if anything changes when its bypassed and then gets engaged. 

bluesdevil

Thanks for the tip. I just checked out to see if the input cap is shorted and it's not. Also checked for DC on the effects side of the cap and there's none..... however, I'm noticing the weird "swell" while playing between picked notes, not just when I kick it on. Guess I better rip it out of the enclosure and see if something else might've fouled up. Was working great before I put the switch on and installed in enclosure.... I'll get it worked out.

"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

bluesdevil

Ah, found the problem. One of the clipping diodes was loose on one end. It's considered working properly now, but I actually liked the tone and volume boost of the one diode arrangement better!!!! The 2 diode configuration is not quite at unity gain with my humbuckers and the tone is raspier and thinner in comparison. I'm going to put that 2nd clipping diode on a SPST switch to give me original and extra heavy.