The pedal modification thread.

Started by KerryF, July 30, 2006, 07:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KerryF

Im not quite sure if this has been done before, but I thought it may be a good idea for a thread and maybe useful.  Feel free to close or do anything to this, Aron, if you feel it shouldnt exist, but I thought it would be a good idea.

So heres what you do in this thread...
1.  Post the name of a pedal,preferably one that is available to be built.
2.  If you have the schematic or layout, you can post it or post a link.
3.  Post some a value or values that can be switched with an existing one so that you can obtain different sounds.
4.  Name what this change can obtain in the sound.
5.  If you have sound clips for the pedal that you have changed some things for, you can post those too.

One example of a pedal that has switchable or parts you can change is the MultiFace by ROG.  There is a chart on the website with a bunch of switchable values.

Feel free to post anything, even if it makes the pedal go into crazy oscillation, or synth like crazy sounds, its always good to know modifications when building a pedal so you can get the perfect sound to fit yourself.

KerryF

No one has any modifications? :o .  I see all the time people are like, "I made this overdrive and used J201s instead of 2N5088s because I didnt have them.  It turns out I got them and tried them and liked the J201s because they were milder and smoother."

markm

One of the members of this board, whom I haven't seen on here in weeks, had a site dedicated to the type of mods you describe.
It doesn't seem as though it was very successful as I recall, he was the only contributor and after searching through my links, the site no longer exists. Problem is, alot of the mods are "common" amongst alot of the DIY community and I guess we kind of take them for granted and assume "everybody knows".
There's a whole section of this site called Simple Mods and Tricks, at least there was and it seems our Wiki has been sabatoged again.

burnt fingers

I remember that thread a while back and the site the sprung up from it.  If I remember correctly, half the stuff their was paraphrased from Arons simple mods and tips.  I think the site is dead now. 

The search function here should help with a lot of mods you may want to do.  There is a lot of good info in the simple mods and tips on this page too. 

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

KerryF

Its not only me that wants mods, I thought that it would be helpful to a lot of other people but I guess not. :-\

RaceDriver205

Yeah, you can call 1800ksmyazz  :icon_lol:.
Nah, anyway if you have a mod just post it. If anyone is interested in a mod for something they just search for it with the search function. There isn't really any need for a specific area for mods, just the same as debug questions, build reports, sound clips, new layouts etc all go in the same section (Build...stompbox).
Anyway, nothing wrong with initiative!

The Tone God

While the idea sounds good and in concept it is a good idea the problem is by definition any change to the original circuit, no matter how small or large, is a mod. From complete rebuilds to a single resistor change. Almost everyone here changes something in a circuit thus just about every circuit/build here has the potential of being included in a "mod" section. This would get bigger then even the "pictures" thread. You might as well put a link to the whole forum in the thread. Sorry.

I appreciate the enthusiasm but I think this one is not possible to do in a reasonable way.

Andrew