Boogey for high gain, BSIAB for mid gain and for low gain......what to build?

Started by Xavier, July 31, 2006, 11:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

I'l liking my Dr. Boogey and BSIAB II a lot. However, the slot for a low gain OD in my pedalboard seems to be seeing many different pedals.

I don't want a TS derivative. I need something which doesn't sound like an OD pedal but more like an amp.

The closest I've tried is the Red Llama. The Llama is very full sounding, but it's really a cross between a fuzz and an OD pedal. I don't like fuzzes, so.......

ROG Peppermill? Umble? Fetzer (no ,I don't want a booster)?.

If anyone knows the solo for "Got to get you into my life" by Earth Wind & Fire , that would be my reference tone. Rounded, tubey, liquid, compressed and full. I can't afford a Dumble amp unfortunately :icon_mrgreen:

Any suggestion?

KerryF

What about the "Vibin' Champ" Mojotron designed?  It looks great.

^--Fixed.  But I bet you wish you designed it. haha.  You have enough good designs, dont worry about it.

MartyMart

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on July 31, 2006, 12:34:21 PM
What about the "Vibin' Champ" Marty designed?  It looks great.

Ahemmm, that's from Mojotron  !   :D

However, my "London 2 Step" is a great "amp" like low gainer  and simple too :
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/Martys-layouts-and-photos/London_2_Step_ampsim?full=1

And for "clean through to medium gain" the Classic 35 is also great :
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/Martys-layouts-and-photos/Classic_35?full=1

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

mojotron

Quote from: MartyMart on July 31, 2006, 12:49:51 PM
Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on July 31, 2006, 12:34:21 PM
What about the "Vibin' Champ" Marty designed?  It looks great.

Ahemmm, that's from Mojotron  !   :D

However, my "London 2 Step" is a great "amp" like low gainer  and simple too :
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/Martys-layouts-and-photos/London_2_Step_ampsim?full=1

And for "clean through to medium gain" the Classic 35 is also great :
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/Martys-layouts-and-photos/Classic_35?full=1

Marty.

Well, actually Leo, or one of his well known Fender engineers, really came up with the component topology - I just put it together with the help of ROG's info to come up with the Vibin' Champ. I almost blush at the idea that the 'design' would be attributed to me... - I literally got up one morning and made the layout from a Fender schematic of one of my favorite amps and worked out the component values while I was reading the notes from the Fetzer Valve off of the ROG site and finished off my 2nd cup of coffee. This took a total of 15 minutes of actual partially cafinated thought. It seemed like a good idea given all of the plethra of info floating around and my extreem love for small fenders - what an incredable thing this forum and associated site's information is!! I liked the sound and thought you dudes would like it too - the VC - sound wise - is more of a 'Fenderizer' with some overdrive. Very much like the Proph Tweed, and Marty's 'London 2 Step' - It fenderizes your amp's sound.

I'm thinking of stealing that 2 stage BSIAB2-like rc filter off of the output of Marty's 'London 2 Step' - I bet that adds some warmth to the sound.. Also, I like your idea of using a 33k resistor on the input - I bet that gives you an extra bit of gain... those are great ideas - I will have to play with that..

Marty - how much of the 2nd harmonic do you get at full gain with the 'London 2 Step' ? It looks like the first stage would produce a decent amount of clipping with the 33k input resistor and the 1k source resistor in the input stage. Also, have you tried the 'London 2 Step' with/without the 68k resistor off of the gain pot?   

MartyMart

Quote from: mojotron on August 02, 2006, 02:44:04 AM

I'm thinking of stealing that 2 stage BSIAB2-like rc filter off of the output of Marty's 'London 2 Step' - I bet that adds some warmth to the sound.. Also, I like your idea of using a 33k resistor on the input - I bet that gives you an extra bit of gain... those are great ideas - I will have to play with that..

>> ROG use these roll off values and the 33k is an "option" from the original Fetzer valve for slightly more gain.
I tend to use that "33k" whenever I see a 47k/68k on my amp sims, apart from the "Bass amp" sims ... I like the
slight "grit" increase :D...........2x 15k's with 2x 2n2's is about a 7khz roll off point <<

Marty - how much of the 2nd harmonic do you get at full gain with the 'London 2 Step' ? It looks like the first stage would produce a decent amount of clipping with the 33k input resistor and the 1k source resistor in the input stage. Also, have you tried the 'London 2 Step' with/without the 68k resistor off of the gain pot? 

>> After posting yesterday, I fired her up again and thought that she was quite "Gainy" ! more than I remember, however @ about 1/4 gain
and some volume boosted, she does a nice "clean" and "Just on the edge" of breakup, depending on gtr, I use a Strat quite a lot !
It just got a bit too "wild" without the 68k @ lug 2 , you can experiment with that though, perhaps 220k would work better for you and
hit stage two a little harder.

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

RaceDriver205

Possibly a Boss Blues Driver? Sounded like it was good for low gain.

Xavier

Update on my Peppermill review.

The gain amount depends heavily on how the output volume is set, and I had it set very low, hence my criticism towards the scarce available gain. I should shut my mouth now :icon_mrgreen:

At rehearsal volume, now I can say it has gain. I changed the source resistor from 1k to 600R and boy it does have gain. In fact I was AB'ing it against my Zakk OD and the Peppermill makes a much better stand alone OD than the Zakk. It is much more amp-like, whereas the Zakk sounds like an OD (well that's what it is isn't it :icon_mrgreen:?)

At low gain settings you hardly can tell if the pedal is on or off , as the tone is the same as with the pedal in bypass. Doesn't add fatness but it doesn't cut lows neither.

Nice pedal indeed, sounds very natural.

syndromet

Dragonfly's snakebite. It's a good booster with some nice " dirt" Very good for mild overdrive.
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

tungngruv

You know, Doug Hammond's " Highway 89" is supposed to be pretty awesome and I bet it would fit what you are looking for.

Xavier

Quote from: tungngruv on August 02, 2006, 11:10:03 AM
You know, Doug Hammond's " Highway 89" is supposed to be pretty awesome and I bet it would fit what you are looking for.

The only thing I have is a perf layout without any component values, and the original schematic was deleted from everywhere at the designer's request.

I would gladly try it if I was able to find a schematic :icon_mrgreen:

Mihkel

Marcos - Munky

I suggest you the Highway 89 (e-mail Doug for the schematic), the MXR Zakk Wylde OD (sorry, it's a TS variant, but sounds great), or even a BSIAB2 or a Dr. Boogie at low gain settings (they both sounds great to my ears at low gain settings).

Bucksears

I was going to second the BSIAB II at low gain.
The stock BSIAB II (without the LPF cap-removal mod that I like so much) gets very Santana-esque with the gain at around 9 o'clock. Sub some MPF102's for the pair of J201's in there and it should sound really good with a bit of range across the low-gain spectrum.

- Buck

newbie builder

TS-like then I'd recommend Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive. Takes a TS and makes it more versatile and fun to play with. Somebody just made a nice vero layout for it too.
//