3PDT hole size

Started by Mark_McQ, July 31, 2006, 12:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark_McQ

Hi all, picked up one of these switches to build an A/B box:- http://www.diystompboxes.com/cart/3PDTsw2.jpg
Just wondering size hole to drill for the best fit?

Regards
Mark

Seljer

I think they're about 12mm? I only have drillbits that go up to 10mm so I end up drilling that and using a file to make it big enough

DuncanM

Yup, 12mm is what I use - actually I have a step drill bit which gives hole sizes from 4mm to 12mm and it's the BEST thing I've bought in a long while...  ;D
All your stompbox drilling requirements fullfilled with one bit EXCEPT FOR DC power connectors, which seem to be a little over 13mm.

Highly recommended.

cd

A half inch drill bit works perfectly.

mikey

15/32"

Quote from: Ed Rembold on February 20, 2004, 11:33:51 AM
Mini toggles   1/4
Mini Alpha 16mm pots   9/32
Full size Alpha 24mm pots   5/16
Switchcraft Jacks   3/8
Stomp switch   15/32   

Hope this helps,  Ed R.

R.G.

Under my continued press for user independence, I have to offer some advice here.

Harbor Freight.

They now have a three-bit set of step drills on sale for under $15. They also have an electronic digital inch/mm caliper for $19. You cannot believe the freedom you have in mechanical setups with the ability to drill many sizes of holes and to measure accurately to 0.001".

These are a must unless you're confining yourself to paint-by-the-numbers.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Sweetalk

I made a template in photoshop with the sizes of pots, swtichs, jacks... for desing the enclosures... RG it's right, the caliper it's a MUST.

If anyone wants the template PM me!!...

Paul Marossy

QuoteA half inch drill bit works perfectly.

That's what I always use. I think 15/32" is exactly the size for a snug fit.

scaesic

Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2006, 12:39:18 PM
Under my continued press for user independence, I have to offer some advice here.

Harbor Freight.

They now have a three-bit set of step drills on sale for under $15.

awesome!!!

i already have a set of vernier calipers, i'm set now.

petemoore

1/2''er..never had a problem with the switch mounting.
  I use a slight bit larger one to take a champhor off the inside where the burrs occur during bit exit.
  Actually I cut to just under the surface of each side of the hole, all the way round, the bit to shoulder cuts pretty cleanly a hole edge on it's way in.
  I have nice sharp bits only, so far, I like to do it the 'ol way, leaving popular bit sizes chucked in various drills I have.
  That 3 bit set looks like the deal of deals on bits tho. Super Excellent Choice for the bitless driller, I'd guess they do great work, and probably are quite sturdier devices than regular bits for drilling smaller holes. Easier than grabbing different drills to work up the holes, but I'd just have to get used to watching the ring count !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

tmuka

Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2006, 12:39:18 PM
Harbor Freight.

They now have a three-bit set of step drills on sale for under $15. They also have an electronic digital inch/mm caliper for $19. You cannot believe the freedom you have in mechanical setups with the ability to drill many sizes of holes and to measure accurately to 0.001".

These are a must unless you're confining yourself to paint-by-the-numbers.

Thanks for the recommendation!  I ended up getting a 13 in one drill from them that will meet my needs :)