Positive and negative ground pedals in the same enclosure?

Started by sfr, August 01, 2006, 08:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfr

I'm thinking of making two "all-in-one" steel-stud-type pedal setups, one for each of my bands and the chain that I use playing out.  I have a couple positive ground pedals I use. 

Will this work?  I was thinking of going with separate jacks for each effect and powering them off the isolated outputs on my Gator G-Bus as I do now.  As long as the power jacks are isolated from the chassis, so the + and - voltage doesn't short out (like connecting a positive ground pedal into a daisy chain powersupply) I should be okay?

What about making a bipolar power supply for the whole thing, referencing ground to 0V, and having a +9V and -9V to run to the various pedals? 

I'm thinking it may just be easier to make new boards for the positive ground pedals.
sent from my orbital space station.

R.G.

You can connect the signal grounds for the positive-ground and negative-ground effects as long as the power supplies are independent, as you describe. As long as the power jacks for p-ground and n-ground are isolated so that you don't get an accidental short, you'll be fine.

Making a single bipolar supply for the whole thing works too.

You have the important idea well in hand - keep the two power supplies from being shorted by signal ground or chassis.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.