clean non germanium based mid boost?

Started by jonathan perez, August 01, 2006, 01:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan perez

ive seen the passive volume tone box, but i want to be able to boost mids instead of an over tone control. which capacitor/resistor set would i use to do so? thanx in advance.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

zpyder

This sounds to me like you want an active mid boost... although I bet you could create a high pass filter and then put a low pass filter after that (never tried this... ), leaving the mids higher than the rest

Either way, you'll want to single out your "mid"s

The equation for the reactance(resistance) of a capacitor is:

R = --------------
       2pi * f * C

where R = reactance(resistance) in ohms
          f = frequency in Hz
          C = capacitance in farads
          pi = some weird ass number with importance we've just begun to realize

To solve for the cutoff point in either a lo or hi pass filter, simply insert the values for R & C, solve for f.

I know this isn't your easy answer, but go through the motions, it's worth it.  Pick a range for what "mid" is and go from there... Maybe 350-700 Hz??? Maybe start with 350Hz and a .1uF cap and solve for what resister you'd need to make a high-pass filter at 350Hz.  350-700Hz is approx the 3rd fret on the D string (which is F) up to one ocatve higher (6th fret B string) - assuming your axe is standard.  mine's not

CHEERS
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

d95err

The AMZ Mosfet boost is a simple, clean fullrange booster. If you adjust the input cap and add a simple lowpass filter at the output, you can make it a mid booster.

Gus

Stephen

GUS ...So this will boost mids

Correct ??

Xavier

Looks like an interesting circuit to build, and I think it can be installed inside the guitar cavity, so here it goes:

Gus

Yes it boosts mids

look at the network at the emitter leg and the lowpass at the output.

Work out the gain change vs freg or just build it.