yet more obvious newbie questions!!

Started by aqautarkus, August 01, 2006, 05:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aqautarkus

thanks with the help on my previous posts, im now trying to build what must be the simplest circuit there is to you guys, except me!! on the home wrecker site theres a bass fuss circuit, looks really idiot proof only i cant tell where the input/out put jacks should go? http://www.home-wrecker.com/bazz.html the first vero board layout? i really desperately want to get something to make a noise, please excuse my ignorance but this has opened up a whole new world of knowledge to me so i guess we all have to start somewhere! many many thanks again in advance
chris

snufkin

im a newbie

it shows on the layot round the edges where they all go

i had a symilar but slightly different problem working out with way round the conections when on which component ie 3 wiers to a pot but is the pot shown upsidown or right side up on the diagram i managed a working easy face with my own vero board (only just tho)

mabe someone sould draw the lines on top of the pic for you i would but id probly make a mistake
easyface,phase 90,many fuzz faces,feedback looper,tremulus lune and so on soon to be ADA!

alteredsounds

Hi Chris, nothings obvious until you someone explains something :D  The input jack connects to Ground and one side of that capacitor (4.7uf).
For the output, connect lug 3 to the board as shown, connect lugs 2&3 together and use a wire from them to the output socket and also a wire to Ground for the output socket.

Look at the BACK of the pots when numbering the lugs, left to right 1 2 3.

Hope this Helps,

Cheers,
Nick,

thor653

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album17/BAZZ_FUSS

This should explain it good for ya...
The 10k resistor on this pic is supposed to be 100k though.
I just got done building three of these in the past month.

zpyder

yo yo

First of all, let me tell you that questions are a wonderful thing.  I am just getting into this too and this forum is a HUGE help!  Getting answers from people that know what they're talking about is priceless.  And now I can answer a couple of noob questions for you and make sure I know what I'm talking about!  ;)

the symbol for an input/output jack on a schematic looks like this:

_
  | |
  |_|   /\_________                 <---------- tip
  |
  |                                         <---------- shield
  |
  |
-----
---
  -

where the "shield" (bigger part) portion of the jack is [almost?] always going to ground, and the "tip" (the tip!) is where we derive the signal - it goes in to the circuit (first to the coupling capacitor)

The input is marked on that vero board as IN   you can also tell because it goes directly to that 4.7uF coupling cap (It's called a coupling cap because it "couples" the AC signal [sine wave] of your geetar into the transistor without affecting the DC bias that drives the transistor - capacitors can couple AC to DC)

The ouput is a little trickier to spot.  You will, once again, connect the shield of the output to ground.  But the tip will be connected to the "Wiper", the middle - or no 2 - lug of the 100k potentiometer.  That 100k potentiometer is your volume knob.  You can think of the Wiper, middle lug, of the potentiometer as sliding across a resistor from one way to the other as you turn the knob.  The wiper is the arrow part of the potentiometer symbol:

|
Z
Z <---- 
Z
|

As that arrow moves up, it gets closer to the top and thus has less resistance between it and that end, thus more signla, thus more volume.  Move it down and it is more connected to ground, thus no signal, thus no volume.

By the way, The Bazz Fuss is a great place to start.  I haven't built one yet, but that circuit opened by eyes to how a transistor is biased.  The whole circuit is pretty much doing nothing other than that - biasing a NPN transistor to use it as an amplifier.  You should look up how to bias transistors.   :)

hope this helps,
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

zpyder

Quote from: alteredsounds on August 01, 2006, 05:47:31 PM
For the output, connect lug 3 to the board as shown, connect lugs 2&3 together and use a wire from them to the output socket and also a wire to Ground for the output socket.

Wouldn't using the output pot as a variable resistor short the output either to ground or to signal???

zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

aqautarkus

you guys are the greatest!! seriously stuff that would take an age to work out yourself sorted in a matter of minutes, bless you all(and the internet!! hehe) this thing will be working this time tomorrow if its the last thing i do!
thanks once again
chris

aqautarkus

yep i told you i would!! got a grainy awful sounding fuzz out of it(never liked fuzz!but im not about to attempt a tube screamer clone just yet))but hey its my first ever circuit, couldnt have done it without the help on this forum, im stoked and itching for more
cheers once again
chris

petemoore

The 'Gain Knob' on the BF is actually the volume knob on your guitar!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

syndromet

Tweaking som values on the bazz fuss will give you a nice overdive instead of that brutal fuzz. Play with the caps, and try a led or a ge for the diode. If you're up for an other simple build, I'd recomend Dragonfly's Snakebite or Joecool85's 5th gear overdrive.
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

aqautarkus

wow, im gonna have a go on the 5th gear overdrive this place is the best seriously! thanks again
chris

6onzalez

Quote from: thor653 on August 01, 2006, 05:49:21 PM
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album17/BAZZ_FUSS

This should explain it good for ya...
The 10k resistor on this pic is supposed to be 100k though.
I just got done building three of these in the past month.

mmm would using a 10k resistor change an awful lot? I have just built one of these  babies and no sound!!! :icon_redface: i will try the 100k instead but will it change that much?

all help v gratefully recieved

zpyder

Welcome to the forum 6onzalez!

Quote from: 6onzalez on February 23, 2007, 05:03:31 PM
mmm would using a 10k resistor change an awful lot? I have just built one of these  babies and no sound!!! :icon_redface: i will try the 100k instead but will it change that much?

all help v gratefully recieved

I don't think what you're describing could be blamed on using a 10k instead of a 100k resistor.  I believe that resistor is acting as a current limiting resistor, limiting the current that gets to the transistor.  I would expect that using a smaller resistor would result in more current and therefore a LARGER signal... though I could be wrong.  Try it out with a larger resistor and if no signal, check all your connections.  Check that your 4.7uF capacitor is oriented the right way.

cheers,
zpyder