Too much highs on reissue Ibanez Tube Screamer?????

Started by AC30Dirty, August 04, 2006, 03:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC30Dirty

hey guys, i recently gutted a reissue tube screamer an replaced in a hammond box. While it was out i decided to do a few mods as well. I did the 808 mod and swapped out the chip and did the whole less/more gain and better bass response as well. I noticed though that the tone control is not very responsive. The only setting that sounds good is at zero. As soon as I start to turn it up a little the highs get really shrill sounding. I bought the pedal at a pawn sop and i tried it before i did anything to it and the highs sounded the same; so i don't think it has to do with anything i modded. Everything else sounds great though, except for that. Do you guys have any idea as to what it could be? Thanks

MartyMart

Make sure the tone cap .22uf and cap between pin 1/5 to ground .22uf  ... have not been serverely
reduced ?
I use a .068uf for the second one above, for a brighter "spanky" tone.

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

AC30Dirty

???????????? Let me check.....

AC30Dirty

Hey Marty, thanks for the feedback. I kept the cap u described in ur post the same as stock; i just made it metal film. its a .22uf. I could higher the value although i've never had to on previous TS9's i've modded. I usually like it at this value. I put the IC that came in the pedal into an SD-1 i had here just to make sure the IC wasn't the cause of the problem; and the pedal wouldn't work. So, i took it out and put the good IC back in and the pedal worked fine. Could it be possible that the IC that came in the TS9 i bought was going bad and messed up another compnent in the circuit thats causing this problem?

MartyMart

I doubt that, I have had a few old pedals where the IC has gone bad, or been damaged by someone else
using the wrong PSU , this could be the case with your's .
So, working now but still way to bright ... yes ?
RG helped me out recently on an '808 repair, traced the 4.5v line and that showed the IC to be bad.
I would suggest getting out your DMM and an audio probe, perhaps you'll find the point where it
sounds bad ?

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com