update on rebote 2.5

Started by jimbob, August 04, 2006, 03:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

QuoteThe rebote delay requires a 78l05 5v positive regulator. I found a 7805 + 5vdc voltage regulator at radioshack. There was no "l" in it so I wasn't sure. I assume there the same.

It seems to work fine. I just had to use a smaller 47uf next to it. I wasn't patient enough to wait for the mail and order one so I went to the rat shack.

QuoteI building one at the moment and don't seem to have the exact values. Is this the kind of circuit that is picky about exact values? For example instead of 12k I'm using 10k, instead of 24k I'm using 22k, 39k instead of 33k, .02 instead of .027, 220k instead of 240k.

Despite using the correct values it sounds pretty good, especially for such a small circuit. It kind of reminds me of a memory man a little, but easier to find a good sounds quicker. I just finished it so theres more experimenting to do.

Anyone know of any good/ interesting mods for this? I want to get all I can out of this thing.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

markm

The only mod I know of is the infinite repeat mod that is mentioned on the Tonepad site but, how often would one actually use it though?
I'd leave it as it is simply because it is a teriffic little D delay.

sfr

The infinite repeat mod is really easy to get running into self-oscillation.  Which leads to laser noises and what have you.  (Is there a way to get infinite repeats w/o self oscillation?)  Whenever my band hits a rocking, pedal-tastic, noise-driven crescendo at the end of a song, when everything on my board is on, the song usually ends with a cymbal swell and crazy delays slowly speeding up and raising in pitch, until the self-oscillation kicks in and the "laser noise" happens, and then I slow it down to a dull throb, let things feedback a bit and then turn everything off. 

I'm actually kind of embarrassed at how often that happens.  Beer is frequently involved. 

That said, yeah, I guess you can use it fairly frequently.  ;)

Also, couldn't you add some resistance in series with the "delay" pot to get longer delay times?  I'd imagine it might get a little grainy, (mine gets slightly so at the max delay amounts) and I'm not sure if it would work or not, but could be interesting.  Also, check out moosapotamus' page (moosapotamus.net) he's added an effects loop to a PT-80 delay for adding effects only to the wet or dry signal.  Shouldn't be terribly hard to implement with the Rebote.

BTW - I have a Rebote 2 that I'm loving, and a board for a 2.5 - anyone who's built both want to comment on the perceived differences?  I'm sure I'll finish the other one at some point, but it's urgency depends on how much it's "worth it", I guess.  I think I also have an un-populated board for a PT-80, and my friend Daryl swears by the AD-3208 over at GGG, and I'm intrigued by the SHEcho there as well - but I only really need *one* delay, maybe two if I get lazy and don't feel like messing with knobs. So I don't know, what are folks opinions of the other DIY delays in comparision to the Rebote?  (Understand, the only delay I've owned prior to building my Rebote was an old Ibanez soundtank delay - so I don't have much to compare to, but the Rebote is rocking my world.)

Sorry to thread-jack.

(Edit - I just saw the note in the tonepad build about getting infinite repeats w/o the self-oscillation.  Guess my first question is answered.)

sent from my orbital space station.

jimbob

Sounds good. I thought about trying the GGG delay sometime as the only 2 delays Im used to are the memory man and the DD-3 boss delay. BUt I really like this one. I with there wre a layout for the EH memory Man. I bet there will be in less than a year. Im even thinking about a Ibanez Ad-9.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

blanik

i second that motion about getting feedback from someone who built both Rebote pedals... (2 and 2.5) i love the 2.5 and was thinking about building the 2...

for rebote mods, i'll  try to put mine in stereo soon (as soon as i get the new enclosure) in your case, it means lifting the far end of the 10k res. coming from the middle lug of the volume pot...  pot-->1uF-->10k-->effect only output... and the regular output is supposed to have only the dry signal... but then you need to true bypass the wet output AND the dry one to have TB... so the solution proposed by someonr here (sorry don't remember who) is to use 3PDT with the millenium bypass, so it'll give you an extra switch for the 2nd output... and i even want to use a switching jack to use the delay in stereo or mono just by plugging a second jack... à la BOSS...  lol

R.

blanik

hi Jimbob, i was using the Roland Space Echo (tape) for many years... got tired of the hassle of carying this around, changing tape, being stressed of having it stolen at a gig... etc...  then i switched to the DD-3 for another long run... a lot more practical but not as cool as the Space Echo... in between i tried the AD-9 and the BOSS analog delay but they don't have enough delay time for my own taste... very short delay, even at max... so i sticked to the somewhat sterile (but ho so compact) DD-3  :icon_neutral:
but since i made the Rebote 2.5 i'm totally sold to it cause it sounds like my old Space Echo but it's got a lot more delay time than the analog delays... you can't really nail those U-2 type riffs with the analog... but it's quite easy with the 2.5... i'm not changing soon!!  :icon_twisted:

i just wish i could make the wet signal a LITTLE clearer... the decaying highs sound amazing when playing alone or recording but get a little lost when playing live with a band... i'll try to work on that soon... (time permitting...)

R.

jimbob

I agree. Except for a little clarity the rebote 2.5 is the winner. FP really did a great job on this one!

stobiepole

A neat trick is to add the Auxiliary LFO from the commonsound Tremulus Lune to the wipers of the Rebote delay pot - you get chorus and wacky modulation effects. Search the archives for details - someone did this with a PT-80 delay, but I can vouch for it working with the Rebote as well.

Ah yes, have a look here:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=34587.0

Chris

RaceDriver205

I built the PT-80 as well as the Rebote 2. Build the Rebote 2.
The PT-80 is good, but I wouldn't say as good as the Rebote. Given that, considering the size and part number difference, the Rebote 2 comes out ahead. I still have to get my modification to the PT-80 right to make it work acceptably.

But! Does anyone know how to get rid of the treble cut/analog sound :icon_question:
Analog sounds nice, but sometimes you want Steve Vai style "note copying".

blanik

hi 205, i only did the 2.5 but at Tonepad Mr Pena states that he worked specifically on the sound of the delayed signal (more high cut by each new repeat) but there's also the first Rebote(1) now available on Tonepad maybe Mr Pena himself should tell us how the 3 Rebotes sound comparing one to the others...   ;)

R.

markm

The main difference between 1 and 2 is that 1 does not have a level pot.
The delay level is at my guess, probably set close to dead even.
The difference between 2 and 2.5 is that the 2.5 is made to roll off more highs on each repeat + the op-amp is inverting so the signal from the input to the output is not out of phase.
My OTHER guess is that the original Rebote is probably not as Analog sounding.

blanik

i just did my first gig with the 2.5 tonite... all my doubts about the delayed sound being too dark to be heard correctly vanished.... it sounded just amazing!!! (i guess it's because my reashal place is too cramped and my amp is right behind my knees...  :icon_sad:)

the sound guy was impressed during soundchek about the sound of this little device...  :icon_twisted:
i think he was thinking i was some kind of electronic genius to build that...lol   

and you got to admit that when some other player comes up to you, amazed by your delay sound, and ask what delay is that and you mention that you made it...  ;D

R.

Ethan

Ok, I breadboarded both the PT80 and rebote 2.  I thought that the PT80 was a little better.  It seemed if I played very softly, the rebote would add digital futz ( not distortion) to the delays.  I believe the compander in the PT80 eliminates this problem.  Or maybe my battery was just weak, or maybe was bad wiring.  Would be great if someone with a rebote 2 could test this:  Plug into a high gain amp, lower the volume on your guitar and play very lightly.  Do your delays sound OK ?

QSQCaito

I have the PT2399 delay, which is in the datasheet, the one posted at geofex. This one seems to be the most primitive one, but i don't have that noises of which you are talking about. Also this circuit doesn't have a buffer, so it doesn't have a volume control

bye bye

DAC
D.A.C