Sound only when bypassed on TS 808

Started by tonenob, August 05, 2006, 01:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonenob

Hi guys,

This is my first diy pedal. I assembled a TS 808 on the PCB layout on generalguitargadgets and soldered everything. The pedal is only good when bypassed and no sound at all when the effect is engaged. The LED lights up perfectly well but there is no sound at all.

I checked out the debugging pages, checked the orientation of components and re-did bad solder joints but still no good. According to this link http://www.geofex.com/fxdebug/nofxsound.htm and it mentioned there can only be two things wrong here. Its rather vague. How do I test using the ohmeter and how do I check whether the board is really completely dead.

I'm a real beginner here, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stephen

do you have the output in the input and thei input in the output?

burnt fingers

Read the DEBUGGING thread again.  Measure your voltages on the trannies and the IC.  What are the voltages on each pin?  Check your grounds, are all you jacks grounded?

These are the common things that will help you find your problems and start rockin'

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

tonenob

hi guys.....

yeah, i checked my transistors and found i wired the EBC wrongly because i was using 2sc1815 transistor and its legs go by ECB.......

the pedal.... works perfectly before i mount it into the box.....

Now.... the pedal when mounted into the box...... ONLY HAVE SOUND WHEN EFFECT IS ENGAGED and NO SOUND AT ALL IN BYPASS.....!!! Totally opposite from the previous problem.

Any idea what is wrong with it, the debugging page does not cover that. I'm really baffled.

Thanks alot

tonenob

ok, I have solved the that problem, i resoldered all my 3PDT footswitch wires. The effect sounds great.

I think this is now my final problem. I do notice that my tone pot is not working well even though it is soldered and wired correctly. There is only a very very very small difference and you wouldnt notice even notice it if you do not listen very closely. I use a 20k graphic pot that is a workalike of an Ibanez TS-808 from smallbearelectronics. Do you think I damaged it through heat from the soldering iron somewhat. How do I go about testing the life of the pots.

I just did a search but cannot find any articles. Please direct me to it if there is.

Thanks.

petemoore

How do I go about testing the life of the pots.
  I do it by using a DMM
  Across the pot
  From wiper to lug 1
  From wiper to lug 3
  Across the pot the resistance should measure close to the marked value of the pot.
  From wiper to lug 1 [and wiper to lug 3], you should get resistances variable between close to the marked value of the pot and 0 ohm, with no 'dead spots' in the middle... 
  I kinda doubt you damaged the pot...possible but no likely.
   Do you think I damaged it through heat from the soldering iron somewhat.
  I try not to...lol...unless you *superheated the lugs.
  Mark said he's been able to re-crimp the rivets of the loosened potlugs with success using a pliers...I believe this type of damage is caused most often by physically overstressing the lugs rivets.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.