To "stobiepole" Re: Gristleizer

Started by Rob Strand, August 07, 2006, 04:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Strand

Your PM inbox is full I cannot reply to your PM

I have a vague recollection of that name  - gristler?   I think it was used in a magazine which I had scans of - yes?  In the magazine it wasn't called gristler, that was the name the original designer gave it.

If you can send me links to the old posts I might be able to work it out what effect it was.  What's GEP?  can you post the link to there?

I'm pretty sure I can help you out once I work out what it is!
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

R.G.

The Gristlizer was an effect used by the band Throbbing Gristle. The schemo and a layout are at GEO, in the front page list. There was a magazine how-to somewhere.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

soggybag

Looking at GEOFEX I can only find a wiring layout for the Gristle Box. There is no parts list or schematic.

soggybag

Thanks for the link the PDF of the original article. The GEO vesion must use dual op-amps and the part numbers are different. Did R.G. post a parts list for his layout?

R.G.

He didn't. But here's a neat trick: there is a parts list on the article. It would be a MAJOR GOOD thing for your electronics understanding to start at the input of the effect and trace it, marking parts on both the schemo and the layout with the corresponding numbers as you go. Fifteen minutes doing that and you're there.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

soggybag

I can do that, but you can't blame me for wondering if it might exist somewhere already.

R.G.

R.G.

stobiepole

I seem to have started a discussion all by accident...

I originally contacted Rob hoping that he had a better copy of the original article. I'm trying to repair the veroboard layout that accompanied it - but the trace cuts and tracks have been erased. I am most of the way through redrawing the vero version, then I'll just have to work out where the missing trace cuts went...It's partly a newbie project for practice, and I'm also a big Throbbing Gristle fan, so I want to take the 'authentic' route and reproduce the original box as clocely as I can.

Chris

Rob Strand

> The Gristlizer was an effect used by the band Throbbing Gristle

I'm pretty sure a a friend of mine usde to listen to those guys in the Punk era, around 1980.

According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

jmusser

You can't help but like a band called "Throbbing Gristle"! I never heard of them in my life until now. I'll have to check the web for them. Is this effect basically an auto wah that you can vary the sensitivity and tone of?
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I think it's misleading when it says "envelope", it's actually a tremolo in this setting.
An ingenious idea, switching between filter & trem by taking out a couple of caps!
The fame of hte Gristliser, is due entirely to the use by Throbbing Gristle, where it was used to distort vocals (and WHAT vocals!!).
A classic cse of, "it isn't what you have, it's what you do with it".
One of the great art/happening/performance bands. At the time.

Dan N

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on August 08, 2006, 09:37:38 AM
I think it's misleading when it says "envelope", it's actually a tremolo in this setting.

Exactly. It's a noisy goofy trem/auto wah that goes to robotic sounding speeds. The real saving grace (if you don't want to sound like TG) is the upward ramp position. You get a nice "backwards guitar" sound.

With access to the bias pot (don't use a trim for this gem!) there are tons of degrees to be dialed in. Try a make-before-break switch for some really gross in between noises.

A less parts count choice for the Gristle robotty sound might be the Jen HF Modulator. Or buy an Ibanez PM7.

jmusser

I listened to the the sound samples they had on Amazon last night, so I know what sounds you're talking about. Some of their stuff sounded techno, and some of it was experimental wierdness. I guess it's good stuff to actually have on record, so you know what the potential of some effects are used in different contexts. The only thing that I've heard that has sounded more odd  than this was a site that the guy who designed the Interlarder (can't think of his name right now) told me about, that had a group who all played their instruments through ring modulators. That was unique! I'd like to know where that site was again.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Rob Strand

Here's a higher resolution scan of the veroboard from the orginal article (which wasn't clear on the previous scans),

http://us.geocities.com/basspreamp/pics/gep_vero_1280_q50.jpg

stobiepole

Fantastic...just what I needed. I'd better get this laid out then...

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Thanks Rob!
Love those 'retro' axial electrolytics..... Sprague for sure :icon_wink:

bwanasonic

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on August 08, 2006, 09:37:38 AM
One of the great art/happening/performance bands. At the time.

Ah, and the role model for many gun-toting, tattooed, penis piercing, wannabes!  :icon_lol: Those were the days.

Kerry M

gez

Quote from: Rob Strand on August 08, 2006, 04:34:00 AM
> The Gristlizer was an effect used by the band Throbbing Gristle

I'm pretty sure a a friend of mine usde to listen to those guys in the Punk era, around 1980.

Some of them are still working as musicians.  There was an extensive interview with a couple of members (no pun intended) on radio 3's 'Mixing It' (one of my weekly fixes) recently.  Interesting, but not really my thing.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter