Strato Pickups.

Started by QSQCaito, August 10, 2006, 04:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QSQCaito

Hi guys. First of all i'm not sure this topic should go here, feel free to move it :P

Well in my strato, when i change to the neck pickup(the more bassy one, is it said like that?) I almost can't hear the highest E string. I thought it was too thin, because the only replacement i had was 0.08, but today it broke up, i changed it for a 0.10(i know i shouln't do these, change caliber of the strings.. for calibration reasons, but it is what i have) and i'm having the same problem.

Before messing up with my guitar i would like to ask if it's ok to raise the pickup a bit from the lowest screw..

bye bye

dac

PS Excuse my english  ::)
D.A.C

Toney

If you are talking about pickup height adjustment, of course!

3-4mm for standard strat PUs depending on output.

If you change string guage you will probably need to adjust the trem springs. You know where they are? :icon_wink:

QSQCaito

Yep, but ussually i dont like to mess with my guitar, the calibration was done by a professional, he adjusted everything height bbla bla bla..

but as it sounded to low i  take a look at it and watch it was too low as it was before.. maybe i glue it, maybe not..

Thanks a lot, gonna plug to amp and test for good height ;)

Bye bye
D.A.C

petemoore

Before messing up with my guitar i would like to ask if it's ok to raise the pickup a bit from the lowest screw..
 I always adjust pickup height on a guitar I'm using.
 I go for balanced output from top of neck [bass side/thick E str.] to bottom of neck.
 But sometimes with use of 3SC pickups I'll intentionally imbalance them..sort of 'see saw' so the bridge PU gets more of the high notes out, Neck PU more bassy.
 Sometimes the pole pieces arent adjustable to achieve balance...what youv'e described may be adjusted out [youll have to try raising the PU closer to the weak string "firstly" and possibly even farther away from the loudest strings to achieve balance].
 I have a 3SC guitar, and...I can't get the high E to near unity with the other strings...this severly limits the ability to have important notes heard, especially when chording, the limits of the PU adjustment don't compensate for it, part of the problem is that the strings are misaligned with the PU and it's non-adjustable pole pieces...it's a strat style Washburn, perhaps there's enough room to adjust the pickup guard, moving the whole arrangement up about 1/8th''.
 Barring that...the options are even less inviting...somehow trying to move each pickup 'up' in the pickguard, or re-aligning the strings...rediculous.
 So...maybe..this imbalance can simply be adjusted for on your instrument.
  Simply put:
  Thanks a lot, gonna plug to amp and test for good height
  This is the best you can do for yourself, as the amp choice of course also influences the balance of bass/treble....
  It took me a while to figure out...leave the bass side slightly too low for low volume, that way at gig volumes the bass doesn't over-woof.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

QSQCaito

Ive just done it, also touch a lil too lil the mid pickup.. sounding awesone now, thanks to all!

I'll try that what you say, a farther away to low e.. but now it... more difference than i'd have imagined..i was playing my solos all in the bridge pickup 'cause of that.. when i replaced the string i realised it wasnt the string, so i had to do something, now it's done :P

thanks a lot agian

bye bye

dac
D.A.C