Switch popping......let's nail it!

Started by Toney, August 16, 2006, 12:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toney

Yes, it's a hoary old topic! But...this still gets me sometimes!!!
I have read all I can find on this and built plenty of units all styles.

And yet the darn things just 'pop' up and get me sometimes. No matter which 'best practice' I use. res to gnd etc. Ok, Keeping it all independant of the circuit ground is ideal, but hard to achieve in a lot of everyday builds. So assuming that can't be done, and it will have to connect to circuit ground.

The three answers that seem to lead are.

Zvex: use a Superbright LED run at a very low rate (high resistor value) with the normal 3pdt.

The milenium bypass; never pops...WHY?  There is still an inrush as the LED fires up, albeit via a transistor, but if thats the cause of the dreaded pop, surely it should still occur? Don't get why! Which I'm not happy with, like to understand. I'm seriously considering going backto this: never fails!

Stinkfoot: on his site insists the answer is to connect pwr and gnd to the LED BEFORE the filtering . Can a filtering cap ,pehaps soldered across the lugs of the adapter jack, absorb the 'pop' ..he thinks so.

I'm looking for a reliable every-day solution!

Noplasticrobots

I'll be watching this topic. Almost everytime I insert a switch into a circuit to switch between diodes, or turn something off it always pops, no matter what I do. However, I never get pops from bypass switches. Can be frustrating....
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

alteredsounds

I've always Zach's idea since he suggested it and not had problems.

$uperpuma

Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

slacker

I use a combination of all 3, a millenium2 bypass on it's own board wired straight to the DC jack powering an ultra bright LED, works a treat.
I think the reason the millenium doesn't cause pops is because the Mosfet limits the current/voltage as well as the LED resistor. 
Don't forget that not all switch popping is caused by LEDs I always make sure my pedals are pop free before I add the LED.

R.G.

Cool! Let's just nail this once and for all. Put in a concentrated, focussed effort and get a works-every-time solution.

And while we're at it, we can just achieve world peace, too.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

skiraly017

Quote from: R.G. on August 16, 2006, 12:59:12 PM
Cool! Let's just nail this once and for all. Put in a concentrated, focussed effort and get a works-every-time solution.

And while we're at it, we can just achieve world peace, too.

While we're at it, since Carmen Electra is now single can someone give her my phone number?  :icon_mrgreen:
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

Gilles C

I think that having the Led(s)circuit with some electronics for the Led(s) on a small and separate pcb, and using the footswitch only to control that electronic instead of the using it to switch the Led(s) can help to minimise the noise caused by the switching of the Led.

Adding some delay as suggested before on that pcb is also another option that helps.

Gilles

MartyMart

Quote from: skiraly017 on August 16, 2006, 01:03:05 PM
While we're at it, since Carmen Electra is now single can someone give her my phone number?  :icon_mrgreen:

YUK .... me thinks she's had a few too many "boyfriends"  !!   :icon_eek:

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

oldrocker

I had just built a bypass all pedal using relays instead of DPDT switches and I didn't think I had pops but after adding some higher gain pedals and bringing up the volume in the mix I realize that it's popping a little.  It's not too drastic though.  It depends on how fast I click the effect on.  If I click it fast the pop isn't as prominent.  I was reading up on it and there doesn't seem to be a rock solid way of getting rid of it.  Everybody has a different view about it.  Does the millennium bypass work?  I saw it used in Tonepads DOD 280 compressor at the end of the circuit but I opted not to add it when I built it.

oldrocker

Could I add the Millennium Bypass circuit to the end on the last contact relay of this bypass circuit?  ( I removed the two batteries and I'm now using a 9 volt adapter to power this circuit.)
http://www.logmonster.com/images/full/?pic=Passthrough_1155588965-422-13155.jpg

Gilles C

Quote from: Noplasticrobots on August 16, 2006, 11:13:24 AM
I'll be watching this topic. Almost everytime I insert a switch into a circuit to switch between diodes, or turn something off it always pops, no matter what I do. However, I never get pops from bypass switches. Can be frustrating....

Did you try to switch the diodes with a Fet?

Look at how they switch the gain of IC1a in this circuit.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/schems/korgtnb1.gif

You could do the same with your diodes.

Gilles

idlechatterbox

This might be an obvious question, but since I don't see it posted yet, I'll ask and risk appearing stupid. Aside from the annoyance factor, does the popping of pedal switches, amps, and the like fry the speakers? I had an amp that popped so bad that I had to install a kind of "kill" switch for the main speaker wire because turning it off always made such a loud pop that I was just sure it had to be torturing my speaker voice coil as much as my ears.

QUOTE:
"While we're at it, since Carmen Electra is now single can someone give her my phone number? 
YUK .... me thinks she's had a few too many "boyfriends"  !!....."

Probably so, but on the other hand, having been owned (and "relic'd") by a number of famous players only increases the value of some guitars......   :icon_eek:

Gilles C

It may not be an every-day solution for everybody, because of the parts involved, but I kept working on my solution for Led noise.

I added some filtering to a transistor circuit I already used a few times, and I would like to know if you would see a better way to add the filtering on this circuit, or better values for the capacitors.

I have a layout for it that I will use on my next effect, but I will change the layout if somebody find a better way to do the filtering.

Here is the schematic

http://www.gtechblues.com/My_Schematics/BiColorLed_2.jpg

Thanks,

Gilles