Slightly "OT" valve amp mod ...

Started by MartyMart, August 16, 2006, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

.... I say "slightly" because at £88 from www.gak.co.uk it's in "stompbox" price area !

This is for the Epiphone valve Junior www.epiphone.com  which is a class A all valve combo
or just head, rated at 5watts , but 5 "valve" watts is quite loud !

Here's some shots of the mod :
http://www.pbase.com/martymart/valve_junior_essay

If anyone is interested, there's a 54 page thread on these at www.18watt.com with some very
fine information.

The result is a wonderful sounding 5 watt valve combo for a total of around £100, I added an 8 Ohm
speaker out and it sounds just fantastic through my 1 x 12 cab ( G30H)

I can't think of a better and more fun way to use £88  !!
( + I'm still alive and didn't ruin anything ) BE AWARE OF THE HIGH VOLTAGES BEFORE OPENING ANY AMP !!!

MM.

EDIT:
If anyone wants details of the changes, just ask :D
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Triple Pole

Hey,

I just jammed through one of these in Johnny Roadhouse...Its really nice, very nice bluesy clean, breakup isnt great but that probably the speaker's fault. Theres a nice little laney tube practise amp that is nicer I think, again the drive is bad.

They are charging £130 for the epi! Ill need to have a word and see if I can get it knocked down, then i might purchase one :D

Cool mods bro...have fun :D

MartyMart

The Laney is around £200 ! that's the LC15 - 15 watt valve.
"Out of the box" this isn't bad, but with an hour or two spent on it, it becomes
something rather nice :D

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com