The Big 3 layout.

Started by cakeworks, August 20, 2006, 12:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cakeworks

I just finished doing a layout for the tripple triode pre-amp found here http://lustfund.livejournal.com/. This is by the same guy who did that sweet distiortion+ with a tube.
I really liked the idea and want to build one for myself by what do people think?

Can someone check the layout please?

as it says on the picture, the pin order of the tubes is reversed because they will be placed on the copper side of the pcb.

thanks

-Jack
-Jack

Is that a plastic washing basket?

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

QSQCaito

Was raking a look to the article.. is it only clean boost?? looks cool to me.. any sound clip, something??

gotta see if i can get that 12v valves here

bye bye

dac
D.A.C

cakeworks

If not, I belive you can get them for a couple of bucks on american ebay.
-Jack

Is that a plastic washing basket?

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

brad

Hi,

I've only built this circuit on breadboard, but I'd imagine the easiest way to tackle this layout would be to solder as many components as possible directly onto the socket lugs and then put whatever's left over (i.e. the power filter caps, input resistors, output capacitor) onto a PCB.  A lot of the connections simply go from tube pin to tube pin...so you might as well make those connections directly with a component or a wire.  Don't forget that you'll need to connect Pin 3 to ground and Pin 4 to +12v on each tube in order for the heaters to work!  Use this to your advantage when making you r layout and se these lugs as ground or 12v connection points if any nearby lugs need them.

To answer your PM about power:  I used an unregulated 12v 1000mA wall wart to power the circuit, but it actually provided 16v because the circuit didn't need that much current.  So I didn't fry the tubes with 16v, I added the 7812 power supply circuit to bring the voltage down to a steady 12v.  You can either solder the 1F filter caps directly onto the pins of the 7812 or mount them on a PCB...the choice is yours!  I would recommend mounting the 7812 chip onto the enclosure wall, because it gets HOT.  You could also screw it flat onto a PCB if you have room.

I'd recommend making a quick version of The Huffer first just to get used to working with the 7812 and the tube.
"If You Can't Open It, You Don't Own It"

QSQCaito

Brad: do you know how it sounds.. something to compare with.. if it has a nice tube sound(what a questions :S)

Would it be a nice introduction to tubes? Im looking forward to work with tubes ;)

Bye bye

DAC
D.A.C