News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

vibrato

Started by scaesic, August 23, 2006, 05:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scaesic

whats a nice cheap pedal that can do both really slow vibrato and fast?

MartyMart

Dan Electro "chicken salad" vibrato , cheap plastic but they sound great !
The "Rocky Road" leslie pedal is also great at "wobbly" sounds too.
MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Marcos - Munky

Also, you can add a switch to a phaser or chorus pedal to turn it into a vibrato.

alderbody

Quote from: MartyMart on August 23, 2006, 06:00:58 PM
Dan Electro "chicken salad" vibrato , cheap plastic but they sound great !
The "Rocky Road" leslie pedal is also great at "wobbly" sounds too.
MM.

+1 for the Chicken Salad.

I had one a long time ago and i remember it being very good, for as long as the battery was fresh.

Because the damn thing drains batteries "like a thirsty camel"...

never tried the Rocky Road.

tiges_ tendres

for my vibrato I use an EHX Wiggler pedal.  Tons of fun to play with, and it does tremolo too.

Sometimes I also run a chorus set up to sound like a vibrato.
Try a little tenderness.

oldrocker

Avtually I just built an EasyVibe and SPST switch for vibrato (they call it chorus) works really good.  It sounds like a store bought is what you want but if you're a DIY'R a EasyVibe works nice.  The Phase 45 w/Univibe mods has a vibrato also but it's not as pronounced.

Somicide

On the subject of a chorus/vibrato switch, how could one implement that into an EH Small Clone (store bought) ?
Peace 'n Love

jmusser

The Chicken Salad is a good sounding pedal, and can give you quite a bit of the Univibe swish. I have no idea why they ever put a battery door in this  pedal. A battery lasts just about long enough to get the battery door closed! I listened to the "Rocky Road" sample on Musician's Friend a long time ago when it first came out, and it didn't impress me at all. I couldn't hear that it did much of anything, but that could have just been the sample too. I've never actually had one in my hands. To me, the Univibe sound is pretty much a one trick pony, and the swishing part of the phase shifter get very annoying on anything that's not Hendrix or Trower type stuff that particular sound was featured on.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

scaesic

iv been seriously considering the chicken salad as a cheap but good sounding option, i have the tremolo version danelectro make (tuna melt), so i assumed the lfo used will be the same.

As long as it provides quite slow wobbly vibrato thats all im after.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Somicide on August 24, 2006, 03:12:07 PM
On the subject of a chorus/vibrato switch, how could one implement that into an EH Small Clone (store bought) ?
Just lift the dry/clean connection/path to the mixing stage.  While not the exact same PCB layout, the Piedrita project at Tonepad (http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=97) shows this.  The point labelled A on the schematic would be lifted so that the clean signal does not pass.  You can install a simple SPST toggle to make/break that contact.

Note that the pleasingness of the vibrato produced will depend on the delay range.  Unless you have good control over sweep width (LFO depth), you may find the pitch wiggle is too wobbly for your tastes.  One strategy to try is to place s smalle value fixed resistor in series with the 10k depth pot (between the op-amp and pot input), like 3k9-4k7 or so. This will let you dial in subtler vibrato more easily.  A nice mod would be to use a DPDT toggle, so that when the dry signal is reconnected, the added series resistor for the depth pot is shunted.  That way you get the subtlety when you need it.

You note that this is an *actual* Small Clone so it won't have the depth pot, but rather a 2-position depth switch.  My suggestion would be to re-allocate the depth switch to use for chorus/vibrato and install the depth pot as an add-on, given that you are modding to add a function already.

Somicide

That's what I was intending to do, as far as swapping the switch for a depth pot.  I just haven't gotten to it yet  :icon_lol: .  Good Idea, though, Mark, as I could actually make use of the switch at the same time!  :icon_cool:
Peace 'n Love