Tonebender MkII voltage woes

Started by wademalorgan, August 28, 2006, 11:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wademalorgan

Hello all.  I have been working on a tonebender mkii using matched pnp transitors from small bear and a layout from fuzzcentral.  I have a 25k pot adjusting the voltage of Q3.  With the pot fully counterclockwise I can reach the desired -4.5v on the collector of Q3.  THe fuzz sounds really nice when biased like this.  However, the output level is slightly lower than my bypass (clean) volume.  Raising the voltage of the Q3 bias pot gives me the volume I need, I'm taking loud (around -8.5v it's insane).  I just don't understand why I can't get this great volume and keep the voltage of Q3 at around -4.5v.  Why does this happen?  Any help would be greatly appreciated
THanks a ton!
wademalorgan

KerryF

Yea, I just built this pedal actually.  Got the transistors from Small Bear.  What were the HFEs of the transistors you got?

wademalorgan

It's been awhile but I think they were 69, 90, and 110.  Are you having the same volume issue with your tonebender?

wademalorgan

KerryF

I didnt have the problems.  I had transistors rated I think 82, 89, 113 (around that).  I didnt have the volume problem.  Make sure the transistors are in right.