News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

"Q" Question

Started by anti-idiot, August 29, 2006, 04:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anti-idiot

i was checkin some schematics, and i saw two different types of "Q" control in some wah-wah's. the most common is replacing the 33k resistor (or adding a 50k pot in series); and the other one (as found in 535Q and DB-01, drawn by Kusi), is just a 1k trimpot in series w the inductor (and parallel w/the 33k resistor)
is there any difference btween those 2 Q-controls?

help?
If I was God you'd sell your soul to...

anti-idiot

If I was God you'd sell your soul to...

brett

Hi
In my experience, the simplest and most predictable way to modify Q is the resistor method.  After messing with many values, I found that values between about 25 and 35k were the most useful to me, but it's definately a matter of taste.  My current wah just has the standard 33k resistor in it, which is quite a good all-round value.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Projectile

I was wondering the same thing myself. Everything I've read on the internet talks about modding the Q of the wah by changing the value 33k resistor in parallel with the inductor, but on the 535Q wah, Dunlop uses a 1k pot in series with the inductor to accomplish the same thing. How does this work both ways? What's the difference?