The new Little Big Muff

Started by amz-fx, August 29, 2006, 10:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amz-fx

Here's a quick overview of the new E-H Little Big Muff Pi pedal that I just received:

http://www.muzique.com/misc/LBMP.htm

There are a couple of big pix on that page so be warned if you are on a slow dialup! :)

regards, Jack

jrc4558

There's room for one more battery! A high-voltage MUFF??? :D

blanik

damned surface mount again!!!  :icon_evil:

R.

petemoore

Doesn't look particularly easy to mod.
  And I wonder what the gut shots of yours looks like..
  The outsides...the one on the right looks more 'authentic vintage', the one on the right looks more psychadelic.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

amz-fx

Quote from: petemoore on August 30, 2006, 01:32:32 AM
  And I wonder what the gut shots of yours looks like..
There are some more pix of it on the page at http://www.muzique.com/projects.htm

regards, Jack

brad

I kinda like surface mount.  Pedals seem to be cheaper for it and you can cram more stuff in!  The only gripe about modding them seems to be that they're awkward to work with by hand...but all it takes is practice I suppose.

I wonder how long it will take until surface mount gets labelled as "digital sounding" or something silly like that though ;D
"If You Can't Open It, You Don't Own It"

AL

I wonder why they went with 3 knobs? Makes me curious - is it actually a re-issue or completely different circuitry?
:icon_confused:

AL

petemoore

edit>the one on the right looks more psychadelic. Obviously I meant 'left'.
  I'm not so certain one would really need to mod it anyway, it's got 3 'mod-knobs', plus the two knobs on the guitar, and more knobs of course could be added...it's a distorter.
  And...the way the PCB and Jacks are put together .. it looks like possibly some thought was made to use it's various structures to keep intact ... the Jack lug to Board solder points.
  Jack, if you could failure test the jacks using a torque test that'd destroy perfectly good pedals and tell us which one withstood the greatest leverage pressures before failing...Jokester of course...unless you're gonna...lol.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mark Hammer

I don't know if all the "new look" E-H pedals are the same, but I find it kind of amusing that the contents of the circuit are rendered so patently obvious on the circuit board, at the same time as so many other makers put assorted goops over theirs to conceal the design.

I guess the shot of the board signals that E-H will essentially be SMT from now on, with the exception of components that are only available in through-hole formats, like BBDs.

tcobretti

Quote from: AL on August 30, 2006, 09:05:29 AM
I wonder why they went with 3 knobs? Makes me curious - is it actually a re-issue or completely different circuitry?
:icon_confused:

AL

It is not based on the 70s LBM.  It is a BMP in a "little" enclosure, hence the name. 

analogmike

We have modified a few to triangle and NYC big muff specs, not too hard to work on them.

The circuit is a standard big muff circuit with slight changes to the NY or Russian values.

Here is one we modded way too much (top one, many resistors and caps changed) and one with the basic mod plus transistor sockets for testing transistors.

Have fun and wear magnifying glasses!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

Mark Hammer

Just out of curiosity, are these ROHS-compliant?  If so, then different soldering iron wattage is called for, I gather.

mudmen

Which parts those trimpots substitute ?
David Gilmour :: Gear Forum
http://www.davidgilmour.pq.pl

markm

Quote from: analogmike on August 30, 2006, 11:27:48 AM
We have modified a few to triangle and NYC big muff specs, not too hard to work on them.

The circuit is a standard big muff circuit with slight changes to the NY or Russian values.

Here is one we modded way too much (top one, many resistors and caps changed) and one with the basic mod plus transistor sockets for testing transistors.

Have fun and wear magnifying glasses!

Better you than me Mike!
Those components are too small for me!

AL

QuoteIt is not based on the 70s LBM.  It is a BMP in a "little" enclosure, hence the name. 

Thanks tcobretti. Now I know.

So, Mike do you have Keebler Elves working in your factory? I don't know if I can get my hands in there.

AL

jimbob

I dont think Ill be buying this new surface mount stuff.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

tcobretti

I posted a reiview a while back about the LBMP; I think it's the best sounding BMP yet.  We compared it to the other BMPs currently being made, and I own an older russian one and did own a late 70s model.  It just sounds great.

jrc4558

Quote from: jimbob on August 30, 2006, 04:29:16 PM
I dont think Ill be buying this new surface mount stuff.
But why? Sansamp is all SMT and sounds great!

StephenGiles

Mmmmmmm, think I'll stick to my Rat!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".