Stratoblaster help needed

Started by modsquad, August 31, 2006, 05:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

modsquad

I built the Stratoblaster for my guitar.  I have the input on the board wired to lug 2 of the guitars volume pot.  I hooked a 50k pot to the board to use to control the gain.  I have it wired as :

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album18/ALEMBIC_STRATOBLASTER_VERO

The output of the board is wired to the output jack of the guitar.  I have the ground of the board wired to lug 1 of the guitar volume pot.  Now that we have all that clear, the volume off the pickups has decreased considerably and the gain pot on the board has no effect.  Now to complicate matters I am using EMG active pickups.  I tapped off the 9 volt for the pickup preamps to power the booster also.  To me everything looks and makes sense, am I forgetting anything.  BTW, does anyone know what the voltages on the J201 should be so I can check it?  Or is it self biasing.

Stan

"Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light, not because he is afraid of the dark but because the dark is afraid of him"

oldrocker

petemoore

I'd check that the circuit output goes to the tip of the output jack
and the ground connects to the sleeve of the outputjack/plug that's in it.
  Input from pickup output wire, pickup also grounded.
  Of course I'd do all that after pre-testing and biasing the circuit....actually I'd do this if I Had to Have one in a non-active type guitar.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

modsquad

The schematic does not show a trimpot, so I am assuming with my lack of knowledge that the JFET is self biased.  Am I nuts.
"Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light, not because he is afraid of the dark but because the dark is afraid of him"

petemoore

..as long as the JFet's biased.
  I built 2 or 3, one in a guitar, one before a Fuzz, one in a box, as shown the bias arrangement provided operational bias voltages to appear on the Jfet pins.
  A fairly easy mod is a socketted transistor, then you can try Jfets' and see to what degree the bias changes...or if you like a MPF102 or *J201 or other type Jfets there.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Plectrum

This may be relevant, seeing as you're using EMG's:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=24204.0

NB Boofheads reply regarding biasing

Grant