FET Preamp Cable

Started by zpyder, August 31, 2006, 07:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zpyder

Whoa...
I saw this in this: http://www.till.com/articles/PreampCable/index.html
in this thread: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=48230.msg357193#msg357193

Alright fellas.... let's hear the dirt!  Who's used em?  Very interesting idea!

zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

Ed G.

A cool idea would be to build it in a small box with a clip. Think of a tape measure for example. Stick the booster or buffer in there, it is still very close to the guitar so the little 1' of cable won't load it down.

Gilles C

You could also use a small Hammond box with a phone jack screwed in "a la Dan Amstrong"

Like this:

It can also be used with a Loop Box:

Gilles

zpyder

yea, but those boxes are so much bigger than the circuity required... besides, why buy more jacks/enclosures when I can just open up my existing cable and add the FET?

The downside I suppose is that if I don't like it I can't just stomp it off..
What I really wonder here is if this is something I should even consider.  Since once I do it to my favorite cable, I probably won't want to undo it.  Hmm... interesting idea, but maybe I'll just build myself a buffer in a box

zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

Gilles C

It's not the circuitry that needs the space, it's mostly the battery...

That's why the battery of the Fet Preamp cable is in a separate box.

Added: What I want to do someday is install a battery like for the Fet Preamp Cable in a Switch, with a special plug for the guitar wire, just like the Fet Preamp Cable again, and use it with different preamps/buffers/effects inside the guitar plug, you guess it, like the Fet Preamp Cable...

Heu... did i say jack in the earlier post? I meant plug.

Gilles

zpyder

ahhhhh... very good point

Gilles C

Also, don't forget that you can use a bigger plug like the NYS225 from Neutrik to have more space for your circuit.

http://www.neutrik.com/content/Products/products_group.asp?level2id=204_41

That's what I did for the Fate Preamp Cable (of course...)  ;)

Gilles

TheBigMan

You can mount it just about anywhere.  In a small box that clips onto your strap, internally with a push/pull pot for switching, in the cable etc.  The layout for it is absolutely tiny.

Gilles C

While searching for something else, I put my hand on my fet Preamp Cable, and remembered this thread. So I put a battery into it and tried it after a long time not using it.

Well, I knew it would make a difference between with and without the Preamp, but I didn't remember it was making such a difference.

I used a very short cable between the guitar and my Switchbox to add or remove the Preamp while playing, and just listened to the result. It's very easy to hear the difference, and I will try to record something to show that difference someday.

Build it. You won't regret it.

Gilles

Meanderthal

I can swear I saw a design for something like this that ran off phantom power. That would really come in handy for a couple prosonus firepods we use...

Does such a design exist? Or has my memory gotten blended with wishful thinking?

I looked and looked and can't find it now...
I am not responsible for your imagination.

Gilles C

Maybe you had this other one in mind.

http://www.uwm.edu/People/msw/ActivePlug/BootStrap.html

http://www.uwm.edu/People/msw/ActivePlug/

But the Fet PreampCable can be powered by Phantom Supply.

Gilles

anti-idiot

i have use 2 of 'em, one for each of my cheap humbos. they sound pretty cool, like active pickups, but i took em off, cos i'm kinda lazy, and i usually left the cable plugged, so i can play any moment. i did it on perfboard, like 1.5x1 cm and glued 'em to the pots (as the emg stuff).
If I was God you'd sell your soul to...

d95err

Quote from: Meanderthal on September 05, 2006, 12:12:17 AM
I can swear I saw a design for something like this that ran off phantom power. That would really come in handy for a couple prosonus firepods we use...

Does such a design exist? Or has my memory gotten blended with wishful thinking?

I looked and looked and can't find it now...

From Tillman's original article:

"As an extra feature, it turns out that the Preamp Cable can just as well be used with standard phantom powered microphone inputs on a mixer (48 Volt, 6.8 Kohm, balanced).  This is the way I typically use it. "

:)

Gilles C

Still about the jack I suggested for the Fet Preamp Cable, here is a picture to show the difference between a standard Neutrik jack and the bigger one I used.

These bigger jacks come very handy when you want to put something in them, and they don't get mixed up easily with your other cables.  ;)

While I'm on the subject, here is mine:

Gilles

Meanderthal

Oh jeeze, it was right under my nose- this was the one! Thanks!
I am not responsible for your imagination.