Newby. Question regarding problem with adapted Geo Splitter.

Started by stompystomp, September 01, 2006, 03:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stompystomp

Hi All.
I'm new here.
Have just got back into electronics after a 20 year break. (well building pedals anyway!). And have built myself a two way splitter. Using the circuit over at Geofex.com (excluding the second transformer) . The circuit works fine. And I have built it into a nice little box. I have also tried to customize it to my own needs. And I wanted to put a volume control on the two outputs. All I had in my tool box were two 1meg log pots. So all I did was put these just before the output jacks. So to act as a passive volume control.

Input goes to pot lug 1, Output goes to pot lug 2 and , ground is pot lug 3.

Everything works. Except that unless the pots are near full , I get a hum (anything above 200K resistance on the pots I get hum). Sounds like a grounding problem. It doesn't matter which output is connected. (both are doing the same).

Any ideas how I can solve this.As some times on my setup I need to lower the volume of my amps. And it would be easier to control it from the splitter. Would lower resistance pots help? (i.e is it worth me buying some new ones?)

Regards. Stompystomp

R.G.

I think you could go down to 50K or even 10K pots on that. The front end buffering should be fine with loads that low. Give it a try.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.