Srambler for bass

Started by dacaumodo, September 02, 2006, 01:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dacaumodo

Hi all

I'm soon going to start on a scrambler I'm building for a bass player friend of mine. I'll use GGG's layout probably. Should I change some of the components' values for bass? Or is it intially a bass FX?

Thanks

Guillaume

vanessa

I would build a Bass Brassmaster for them over the Scrambler (or modified for bass). Check out GEOFX for the layout and schematic. You friend will thank you for it.

lowstar

hey vanessa,
have your built your´s yet ?

cheers,
lowstar
effects built counter: stopped counting at 100

Elektrojänis

Scrambler should pass the lowest frequencies off a bass gutar in standard tuning just fine. I don't know how it would sound with bass though.  The usability will depend on what kid of sound you are after anyway.

dacaumodo

Actually I just pointed my friend to the soundclips on tonefrenzy and those posted in this forum by a guy who fit his scrambler in a wah enclosure (sorry I can't remember his name right now, but it's one great mod!): he loved them. He plays something halfway between hardcore, stoner, etc. So the noisy and unpredictable side of the scrambler would suit him fine. I'll try it anyway and see how it turns out. I might give a shot at the Brassmaster though: do yu have any soundclips Vanessa?
thanks
Guillaume

nordine

he shouldn't have any problem w/ the scrambler, cause it has a clean blending feature which restitues the missing lows (if any)... i've already build it , and works wonderful on bass, pretty tight sound

dacaumodo

lowstar

actually it was one of my first builds...i really did not like it for bass, and used the enclosure for a bsiabII.
the brass master, on the other hand, is one of the circuits that even got a painted enclosure... :icon_mrgreen:

cheers,
lowstar
effects built counter: stopped counting at 100

nordine

Quote from: dacaumodo on September 02, 2006, 05:14:56 PM
Thanks Nordine.
Guillaume

np  ;D

here you'll find  some samples for the brassmaster:
http://www.moosapotamus.net/THINGS/brassmaster.htm

i just can't appreciate the brassmaster, sounds too ortodox for me

Meanderthal

The brassmaster works as intended- makes you sound like a tuba- hence the brass... Think Jack Bruce...

The scrambler is more like an mxr blue box- all wild and wacky... Think Korn...

2 different beasts for sure.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

dacaumodo

After hearing the sound samples, I think the scrambler would work better for my friend, it's wilder, crazier. Although I might build a brassmaster later on.

Cheers!
g

Bernardduur

The Brassmaster is a great fuzz for bass, I didn't like the Scrambler that much.....

Still, the Scrambler is far easier to build
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

oldrocker

I've never tried the Scrambler with a bass but for guitar this is a great pedal.  With the blend pot all the way down and both pots fully counter clockwase this makes for a nice sounding distortion pedal.  You don't even need to use the octave up part.  I used it set like that for a live gig and a few guitar players in the crowd asked what pedal that was.  It's funny since one of them had a Scrambler and never used it like that and couldn't wait to get home and try it.

dacaumodo

Exactly, this pedal has a magic something about it!

vanessa

Quote from: oldrocker on September 03, 2006, 02:36:03 PM
With the blend pot all the way down and both pots fully counter clockwase this makes for a nice sounding distortion pedal.

Do you mean with everything shut off on the pedal?

What the heck do the 47k resistors to ground do (right before the blend pot)?

oldrocker

Yes, with both the the texture and blend turned down this effect has a nice bassy distortion.  As for the 47k I'm not sure to honest.  By the way as an octave up pedal it's great too.  If you haven't tried this one yet I highly recommend it.  It has some interesting sounds in it for such a simple build.

vanessa

Quote from: oldrocker on September 04, 2006, 11:40:41 PM
Yes, with both the the texture and blend turned down this effect has a nice bassy distortion.  As for the 47k I'm not sure to honest.  By the way as an octave up pedal it's great too.  If you haven't tried this one yet I highly recommend it.  It has some interesting sounds in it for such a simple build.

Do you have the blend set full distortion or full clean signal?

Does anyone else know what the 47k resistors to ground do (right before the blend pot)?

oldrocker

Yes the blend is full distortion.  I've got it wired backwards.