BASS FUZZ SOUND ON A MUSE SONG.... PEDAL??????

Started by AC30Dirty, September 03, 2006, 02:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC30Dirty

hey guys, I've actually been on this venture for quite some time. In the band MUSE the is a song called "Time Is Running Out" from their second album. The song starts with a bass riff and it has this really awsome effect on it. It sounds like a fuzz but really smooth and tight. Perhaps its not even a fuzz and a bass but some kind of synth. Either way i was hoping you guys could help me out and give me some suggestions as to how I could achieve this sound. I came really close with a big muff but not quite. Is there a way i can mod the big muff to make it sound like this, or is thier a build i can make? Thanks

Seljer

among the effects Muse's bassist has theres a Big Muff, a Boss OS2 and a Boss OC2 octave, maybe its the octave that does the trick?

AC30Dirty

The Woolly Mamoth souds AWSOME!!! Exactly waht I was looking for. The price is a little steep though. :icon_eek: But, worth it i'm sure. Would the ROG Bazz Fuss, Deluxe Bazz Fuss, Or Buzz Box work like it, for my particular purpose?

Arno van der Heijden

He used to have an Akai Deep Impact bass synth on his board as well. However, on the last few tours (Absolution + BH&R) they used racks full of remotely switched stuff, so I have no idea if this fx was used on that particular track...

AC30Dirty

The ROG Deluxe Bazz Fuss looks like it might be able to do the job. Has anyone built one o these for their bass? If so, how does it sound?

jayp5150

I have one in my bass.  Not sure what the final version I ended up with was.  Used a homemade darlington, and a 10uf input and output cap.  It responds well to the bass volume, so I can clean it up--I just yanked out one of my tone controls, and put the volume pot there, and a mini switch to turn it on. 

It will go from a vintage sounding overdrive to all out fuzz.  Oh, I also used two 1n914's instead of just one (in a loop, not in series).  Don't think I made any other changes (no transformer, though--not needed for my setup).

Have fun with that one. 

$uperpuma

another good way to acheive this is to blend a fuzz/distortion with the clean bass signal...with the splitter/blend or the paralooper... My buddy Justin from a band called the Vanished had me do this for him... he loops a tube screamer and a big muff in there and through his svt 4 and 8-10 cabs it sounds TOUGH...

Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

Bernardduur

Hey, I do the same; Big Muff (with mids mod) and a TubeScreamer for Bass through a looper pedal w/two loops; one is clean, one is affected.

Great sound.

The sound can easily be obtained by any synth and fuzz; he just uses his deep impact w/Big Muff. When I use my Boss SYB-3 I can nail that sound
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

AC30Dirty

Would the EHX Bass MicroSynth do the trick? I remeber a long while back messing with the guitar version of the this pedal and if I recall corectly I could achieve the sound with a little tweaking. By the way, I can't find anything on the Akai Deep Impact; except that there's was one on ebay that sold for over $480.00. What does this pedal do? Thanks

Bernardduur

It is just a synth for bass (in pedal format). It has been discontinued by Akai.

What you need is a sturdy synth tone (no envelope) with fuzz running after it. The Microsynth has a build in fuzz, so I guess that unit will cope it

darron

maybe a bitcrusher guys? from memory anyway. but i love that bass line.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

AC30Dirty

would a big muff after a octave pedal like the Boss OC-2 do the trick?

Bernardduur

Quote from: AC30Dirty on September 04, 2006, 04:14:02 AM
would a big muff after a octave pedal like the Boss OC-2 do the trick?

It will do a lot good, yes

scaesic

i heard this from some guy who lives in my city who was the engineer for muse on some tracks. its just a question of splitting the signal, fuzzing the hell out of one side and keeping the other side clean, then mixing them together again, and roll off the bass end on the effects side to keep the bass definition in the mixing.

"Chris uses clean bass from amp 1, Microsynth (square wave setting) and a bit of fuzz. then just mixed together in amp 2. recording it, Take the clean Amp mic ch 1, DI into the FX into Ch 2 the FX can have the bottom rolled off to stop it altering the clean bass, The fx is blended in to the clean until you have the right sound.."