this thing is freakin' me out!!!

Started by flavourful, September 04, 2006, 02:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flavourful

alright, here's the status.... I'm messing with a boss md2 and there's a strange wire running nowhere. apperently it was somewhere at one point but I have no idea how to get it back to where it belongs. I already checked every possible location for where it could have broken off but I've already broken off a few others and soldered them back on, effectivly removing the evidence. This seemed easy at first but the multimeter soon told me otherwise, as I will get to in a moment. First of all:
schematic:http://freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=2320

The power jack thingy on this thing is actually soldered onto the board at five points. two of them are connected, making it four independant points. I pulled out the old multimeter to see what was what and now I'm completely lost. hopefully these little diagrams can explain it better than I could with words.

battery only:

the numbers show teh voltages. the red part is the connection to positive battery. the blue goes to and only to a piece of wire (the one I that I can't figure out where it goes) the green points are connected through the circuit board (jumpered) and lead off to ground through a 100uf cap, the yellow is connected to the green through a diode, the yellow being on the side without the bar (meaning current flows from yellow to green??), green is also connected to ground through a diode, with the bar side connected, and therefor yellow should be the 9v connection in the bottom left corner of the schematic. it all seems to make sense now, the red point is obvious, the yellow is 9v+, so blue should be ground, right?? maybe??  next picture...

jack only:

this shows voltages with only the power through the jack. the blue, the one I thought was ground, shows the full 9.2v, the red is obviously nothing, and the yellow is a mere 0.90 for some reason. it's all messed up, due to the blue wire leading nowhere. the board also gets no power from the jack and the led doesn't turn on

both battery and jack:

there it is. sorry for the length of the post but I'm trying to be through. I haven't tried wireing anything up and trying it through the amp or anything crazy like that yet. so is that blue wire a ground? it kinda seemed like it at first but it has 9.2v when the jack is in, which doesn't seem like a ground to me. since I don't know jack about this part of any circuits because I'm such a noob, so anything you can tell me is well appreciated, and If someone would open up their old md2 and check it that'd be even better. this thing's been in the closet for a week because of my lack of knowledge and now I'm missing it, I want it back on the pedalboard! now if you've actually read this far, thank you for your patience. it's probably just a simple little thing but it's put me through a loop. ummm... I should probably stop typing and get some sleep before I start blathering any more... thanks

MetalUpYerEye

OK...

4 independent points; green, yellow, red, and blue...
The green are connected to each other on the circuit board.
Yellow are connected to green through a diode.

Inside my MD-2 which i'm looking at right now, I see a red wire that goes from the input jack to the 9v battery connector. This is the 9v+. I also see your infamous blue wire which connects to the INPUT jack on the same lug as the - wire from the battery connector.

Hope my MD-2 finally did something useful again! Its been sitting around all boring and useless since Dr. Boogey moved in!  ;D

Hope this helps you to get it back in action.

flavourful

THANK YOU!!!!  I can finally start in on this thing again....  Dr. Boogey you say??  hmmm. I'll have to look onto that,  I'm kinda bored with what I got right now, hence the modding I'm doing to the thing.

MetalUpYerEye

Dr. Boogey is a Mesa/Boogey Dual Rectifier Simulator. It has tons of gain, probably as much or more as the MD-2 but cleans up a lot nicer. Its also has a rediculous amount of saturation when the gain is past 12 o'clock. ;D It doesn't have the crappy mid shit that the MD-2 puts out and doesn't sound fuzzy like an MD-2 at high volume levels. Dr. Boogey is all crunch and even more munch. Your palm mutes will be chunkier than a fat kid in a Snickers factory with Dr. Boogey.

Do a forum search for DR BOOGEY SCHEMATIC LAYOUT or blah blah whatever, you know how it goes. Bucksears' PCB layout works great!

In closing I would like to say; Dr. Boogey, F--K YEAH!