The best Overdrive

Started by Alverman12, September 05, 2006, 06:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alverman12

Which is the best Od pedal?
I'm building the TS 808 with several mods so I can't tell anything
so according to you which is?

DDD

It's not a problem at all to find a proper answer to the question. All we have to do is find a BEST guitar player and ask him. He knows for sure.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Seljer

Then it'd be the DOD 250 (or his signature one that he uses these days)  :icon_razz:

I've only built myself a TS808 and I like the thing, easily puts my amp a couple of notches into a nicer metalish territory than the amp would go into alone (mud, urgh). And my amp is a little solid state thing (...when people say these only sound good on tube amps).
But there are dozens of overdrive pedals out there and I haven't really tried them....

jonathan perez

"i tought god how to play guitar."
                               -Malmsteen
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

JimRayden

didier

Quote from: thebattleofmidway on September 05, 2006, 10:50:43 AM
"i tought god how to play guitar."
                               -Malmsteen

he tought clapton?? :D  :icon_rolleyes:

the best overdrive????
its all down to personal taste i guess...
the tubescreamer must defenatly be the most famous overdrive
but if that makes it the best?? i dont know
other famous ones and frequently looked after:
proco the rat; mxr distortion+; boss SD1; marshall guv'nor; EH big muff...
Complete: TS-808; LPB2; Orange Squeezer; Green Ringer; Foxx Tone Machine; LM3886 PowerAmp.
To Be Completed: DOD440; Professor Tweed; LHX; Real McTube 2; Rebote 2.5 Delay; ETI MN3011 Reverb;

g3rmanium

Call me Johann.

mojotron

I would say the one you like the most.

This comes up all the time and there is no consensis - even amongst those who have built most everything. This is a purely personal taste thing.

Now if you narrow it down to, say, "the best Van Halen sound" or "the best Ge Over Drive" - then you might get a more focused response. Of course, the best answers might be found using the search feature of the forum as a lot of this has been covered in the past.

markm

Quote from: Alverman12 on September 05, 2006, 06:23:54 AM

This whole topic seems very familiar here......Deja-Vu' maybe  ;D

petemoore

Here's a few criterion:
  Sold most copies.
  Greatest Mfr. Profit margin
  Easiest to clone
  longest lasting
  Simplest design
  Most complex design
  Fewest knobs
  Most knobs
  Greatest # of 'guitarhack' endorsements
  Most commonly recognized name
  Least known
  Greatest Db output
  Hardest clipping
  :From a marketeers viewpoint...the one that has the cheepest production costs and sells, or the one that's still fairly cheep to produce but sells like hotcakes.
  From an engineering viewpoint...the one
  "Best" implies 'all others are lesser'...that'd probably include my 'designs', therefore I'd not be inclined to argue the opinion.
  Biggest hump in midrange
  Least Bassy

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MetalUpYerEye

Quote from: g3rmanium on September 05, 2006, 11:10:50 AM
Quote from: Alverman12 on September 05, 2006, 06:23:54 AM

This one of course !!!!11 :icon_rolleyes:

Hehehehehe! You got your ModelName and ManufacturerName backwards; that page says that its called John LANDGRAFF and made by Dynamic Overdrive!

Bernardduur

I really like my Colorsound Overdriver; my most used pedal EVER!
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

Meanderthal

I'm obsessed with this one- The Danelectro Fab Overdrive. Way too cheap to clone or build... but the SOUND of this thing! Hiva-jeeva!(ducking the rotten tomatos being launched now!)

As has been said before- this is all about what massages YOUR eardrums to orgasm... No matter what you like, someone somewhere will think you're insane for even liking it!

You're gonna hafta blaze your own trail with this horse, pardner. Sorry, facts is facts, but this one's pure opinion...

Might as well ask which one is the best MUSIC. Same answer.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

aron

Yeah, unless you're asking what's the best overdrive to someone ELSE, then many opinions will fly. That's what this entire forum is about. Letting YOU make YOUR perfect/best overdrive yourself.

markm

Unforunately, the only person who can say what the best overdrive for you is, well..........you.
There are lots of choices out in DIY-land but just think how good you'll get at building circuits!  :icon_rolleyes:

petemoore

I wonder had there been more discrete circuits like Blue Magic or Jfet Emulators early on in the history of effects if there wouldn't be more 'TS converts'...I never quite got that one exactly 'right' for me, in fact today I pulled the DC jack and an OS Comp I had in that box, a few days ago the stompswitch for the ts was scavenged.
  Actually the closest things I have to an "Overdrive' right now on the board would be FF, BMP, Dist+, *Rangemaster, and OS Comp. I could still use a good one..'something Fet' I think...
  I was mainly doggin' that 'best' word...
  For 'Tube Amp' maybe CMOS.
  For other Tube Amp maybe FET
  For "TS" type [blues driver, landgraff...many other variations..] Opamp Feedback loop clipper like TS.
  A 'Voiced' 1 Blackfire stage or even a Tweek-O might be to your liking.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Antero

The Highway 89 is the only one that I've ever been really impressed by...

Doug_H

Quote from: Antero on September 05, 2006, 10:22:57 PM
The Highway 89 is the only one that I've ever been really impressed by...

Thanks, yeah... Me too... :icon_mrgreen: