Green Ringer soundclips!

Started by dacaumodo, September 05, 2006, 09:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dacaumodo

Japanese Strat > GR > Boss GT 8 > mixer > Soundcard.
Just doodling around. I'm no virtuoso and wasn't too inspired.
No software FX.

The first part is with a clean sound, some delay and reverb. Then I dialled a Big Muff simulation, and finally a TS simulation, which all come after the GR (first in the chain). Throughout, various pickup combinations ( beginning: neck, out of phase), and some variations with the volume pot during the "TS" part.
Notice towards the end the harmonics played with delay and TS on. It sounds a bit like bells.

There's a slight pop at switching on/off, if you've got a tip as to how I could get rid of it...

http://www.filelodge.com/files/room27/730066/green%20ringer%20sound%20clip.mp3

petemoore

I couldn't hear it...
There's a slight pop at switching on/off, if you've got a tip as to how I could get rid of it...
  Did you use Pulldown resistors?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

dacaumodo

This link will work better:
http://perso.orange.fr/vimcortez/green%20ringer%20sound%20clip.mp3

If the pulldown resistor is that on the positive lead of the LED, yes I did, I put a 22k there. Perhaps it's not enough? Bigger than this though I fear I won't see my led at all.

tommy.genes

Quote from: dacaumodo on September 05, 2006, 10:03:15 AMIf the pulldown resistor is that on the positive lead of the LED, yes I did, I put a 22k there. Perhaps it's not enough? Bigger than this though I fear I won't see my led at all.

No, a pulldown resistor is a 1M to 2M2 resistor to ground from the outside of the input capacitor, i.e. where the input capacitor is connected to the bypass switch or where the signal first enters the circuit board. The purpose of this is to allow left over charge on the cap to bleed to ground while the effect is bypassed. Thus, when the effect is engaged, you won't have the sudden discharge that results in the audible pop.

Let me see if I can do this as ASCI art...

From Bypass  Switch o--------|(---- To FX
                                      |
                                      /
                                      \
                                       /
                                       \
                                       /
                                       | 
                                      _
                                      -

Nice sounding clips, BTW. I've had a (pseudo) ring mod on my to-do list for a while.

-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

Seljer

^^
and I believe the same deal applys to the output side of the effect if you don't allready have any resistor there (a lot of effects allread have the volume pot in that position so you don't have to worry)

dacaumodo

There's not pot on the Green Ringer.
I used JD Sleep's layout, which is based on the following schematic:

Are R 13 and R 12 the resistors you're talking about?

tommy.genes

Looking at the schem, R13 should already be doing the job at the input, plus switch 1a goes to ground when bypassed, which would also accomplish the same thing. R12 is already doing the job on the output.

So, unless there is an error in your wiring, the source of the pop must be something else in the circuit with which I am not familiar.  :icon_frown:

-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

dacaumodo

Quote from: tommy.genes on September 05, 2006, 10:26:50 AM

Nice sounding clips, BTW. I've had a (pseudo) ring mod on my to-do list for a while.

-- T. G. --

thanks!

dacaumodo

by the way i hope i didn't break a rule by linking to the schematic?

Meanderthal

LOL! That's EXACTLY what mine sounds like. In your hands, it actually sounds good, but in mine it's just sour. I had thought I screwed up my build somehow, but you confirmed that's what it's supposed to do...
Then again I play bass...

I am not responsible for your imagination.

dacaumodo

Quote from: Meanderthal on September 05, 2006, 11:12:47 AM
LOL! That's EXACTLY what mine sounds like. In your hands, it actually sounds good, but in mine it's just sour. I had thought I screwed up my build somehow, but you confirmed that's what it's supposed to do...
Then again I play bass...

Thanks for the compliment ;)
By the way, I was thinking how it would work with bass. I was thinking perhaps, with a fuzz after or before, it could sound like a scrambler.
It also seems to be VERY dependent on what pickups you use. I don't know what yours are , but perhaps you could try different positions AND also I think a booster before it could give it more body. It does tend to suck some bass, as can be heard in my soundclip in the "fuzz" interlude.

Meanderthal

Yeah, I did try it with dist. in front of it... it was interesting, but only sounded good on certain notes. I came to the conclusion that I'd be forced to build music around those notes... and moved on. I easily fixed the lows- input cap and all, but that made it even less 'predictable'.

This thing would be great for deliberately creating dissonance to add 'emotional' impact- Trent Reznor style, but my band is a bit too conventional for that approach. Sometimes to the point where I feel confined and restricted. A common lament for bass players. I'm the crazy guy who's always experimenting, but when it does 'fit in' they let me do my thing. I have to pull teeth to get my guitar player to try new effects- he's a "tone" guy who already has the sound that works great for his style. Strat-wah-overdrive-delay-fender twin. He's a happy camper with that rig!

It really does sound much better for guitar! At least when you use it!

I am not responsible for your imagination.

dacaumodo

Quote from: Meanderthal on September 05, 2006, 12:31:09 PM

This thing would be great for deliberately creating dissonance to add 'emotional' impact- Trent Reznor style

Yes I totally agree with you. It's somewhat "industrial" and noisy and is not conventional. I guess from a strictly "tone guy" point of view, this one sounds like ruining your tone! Which I sometimes love. Sometimes nasty is cool. I've got to try it on voice too.
Mine also only "works" on some notes, or note combinations. It is very interesting on bends, especially with one note bent and another one not bent.
I'm sure you could get cool bass sounds with this though. I'll experiment a bit, though my bass's a disgrace (just likle my playing)
;)
G

zpyder

Good clips - thanks!

Yup, you've pretty much confirmed my build with this one.  The GR was the first build I boxed up, and now that I've heard your clip I can also say "Hey! that's what mine sounds like!" :)

The GR is certainly a pedal with limited uses I would say... There are a couple of places in my band's songs where this is appropriate - both that come to mind are very "destructive" sections where the music tears itself apart...

My only compaint with my GR is that I get a pretty substantial volume boost when it's on.  I'm thinking I'll have to box up a seperate volume box to put after it so my levels don't skyrocket when I use this thing...

cheers
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

dacaumodo

Funny - mine seems to output at just the same or a very little below the bypassed level... Which schematics / layout did you use?

zpyder

I used tonepad's schematic.  I bought a PCB from Fransisco at tonepad.  Pretty sure I built it to spec...

zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

zpyder

dacaumodo

There's only one difference apparently: the input resistor on the tonepad schematics is 2M2, the one on GGG is 4M7.
(http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/gringer_sc.gif)

Perhaps if you change this resistor it will solve your problem?

zpyder

Quote from: dacaumodo on September 05, 2006, 04:31:56 PM
There's only one difference apparently: the input resistor on the tonepad schematics is 2M2, the one on GGG is 4M7.
Perhaps if you change this resistor it will solve your problem?

Hmmm... worth a shot I suppose - though logically it seems to me that raising the value of a pull-down resistor would, if anything, raise the overall gain...

then again, I don't really know!

zpyder

Noplasticrobots

The Green Ringer is by far the best effect for rhythm players.
I love the smell of solder in the morning.