Green Ringer soundclips!

Started by dacaumodo, September 05, 2006, 09:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meanderthal

You're kidding, right? If not you must play some VERY interesting stuff...
I am not responsible for your imagination.

Antero

I need to build one of these.  Thanks for the clips.

On a hip-hop tack, the (excellent) Cee-Lo Green song "Glockapella" has what I think is a guitar through a Green Ringer playing this slow funky riff.  Very cool.

dacaumodo

You're welcome. I need to check this track out.

cgoodson

Nice clip, thanks.  Yep, it sounds like mine. :icon_mrgreen:

Noplasticrobots

Yours has a bit more ring than mine. I'm using a bonafide Fairchild 2N3906 as a PNP and some 2n5088s as NPN. What are you using?
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

dacaumodo

I used 2N3906s and 2N3904s. I'm quite sure though it also depends on what guitar/pickups you're using.

Noplasticrobots

Hm, I'll try 2N3904s, I'm using an SG copy.

dacaumodo

With my strat, it sounds definitely better on the neck pickup. the "ring" effect is only noticeable when playing chords or at least two strings together, and even then, not all intervals produce the same amount effect (fifth don't seem to ring mod much). The octave effect become only noticeable (to me at least) from the 12th fret up, and even then, mostly on the 3 higher strings (G, B, E).
Interesting effects are produced if you play two strings at the same time, pull one up then release it: the sounds of that string will of course go down, but there is an added sound, much lower, that goes up. Weird. You can hear somewhere on the clip.

I love this lil' effect.

Noplasticrobots

Meanderthal, unfortunately I don't play anything interesting. A lot of boring power chords and as mentioned above, fifths don't really ring a whole lot so for me it just gives the sound a bit of growl. Although, I do love playing open chords with this thing too! I have a song somewhere done with only an Uglyface and a Green Ringer.

I tried 2N3904's instead of the 2N5089's and it sounds a lot better to me. But still not as good as I'd like it too. Does the GR sound better with single coils? If so, I got my Tele back up and running...

dacaumodo

I haven't been able to try a  HB guitar with it, but the clip were recorded with a single coils strat. My hunch is that single coils are better with this pedal, if only because the spectrum of the pickups sounds more "balanced", wide ranging and bouncy to my ears than your average HB. This is pure, uneducated speculation on my part though.

Playing power chords, I haven't been able to produce any really interesting sounds: it sounds then a little like a low gain fuzz - not exactly what you would build it for....