true bypass grounding?

Started by burningwater, September 09, 2006, 03:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burningwater

Looking inside some boutique pedals lately Ive noticed some of the true bypass switches are wired differently than I have been doing it. They have the output wired to be grounded when the board is bypassed. Im wondering what the purpose of this is - is it quieter? Is this the preferred method for all TB wiring? Thanks

John Lyons

Usually the input of the effect is grounded (if anything is grounded at all) This helps for pedals with a lot of gain. What it does is ground the input to avoid oscillation and noise. I guess grounding the output would work the same way although the input would still produce oscillation, you just wouldn't hear it...

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

cab42

I had severe switch popping on my Rangemaster and tried every trick I could find here, but nothing worked

UNTIL I tried to ground the output as described at GGG. Voila, the popping disapeared!

Regards

Carsten

• SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

Gilles C

It's funny, I never heard of grounding outputs. And I don't remember seeing that at GGG either.

I wouldn't do that with any circuit for sure. And never with mines, because it's not something I accept as a fact easily.  :-\

Gilles

burningwater

Thanks guys. Looks like theres some difference of opinion. javascript:void(0);
Most of the switch popping problems Ive had are taken care of with a 1m pulldown.
I guess like most things Ill just have to try it it the next time I want to cut noise and see if I can hear difference. ce.