A simple Volume Booster

Started by Tamir, September 09, 2006, 02:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamir

Hi, I did a mistake and I posted the topic in the project forum, I didn't notice there are other forums so excuse me.
I wanted a simple booster that controls only the volume so I can put in front of a FF.
More details:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=49190.0

Please answer here and not there, I am new here and new to building effects. thanks!

KerryF

Do the NPN Boost from this site.  Its back where you posted the first thing.

Snuffy

LPB2

I just built it, its really simple and sounds pretty good too.

Tamir

Are these boosters boosting only the volume? (I read that there is not such a thing, but there are almost transparent boosters and that's what I want)
I am looking for a simple clean boost. thank you very much.

Sorry for my english BTW, it is not my native language.

Seljer

Yes, all of these are pretty clean, they might add a little bit of distortion when you've got them all the way up, but generally they're clean.

Runoffgroove Fetzer Valve
AMZ Mini Booster
AMZ Mosfet Boost
that Gus Smalley NPN boost thats documented on here http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?board=6.0
Dragonfly Sparkle Boost
MXR Microamp
Alembic Stratoblaster

if you like working with stripboard then there are layouts for all of those in here: http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album18

Tamir

thanks, you are great :D.
By the way, is there any easier way to solder all the circuits? I tried to build  a circuit on a perfboard and it is hard. the stripsboard looks very cool but I don't know if I can get them here in Israel. I read once that some of you guys make the PCB at home.
what are my possibilities?

:)

Seljer

Yeah, stripboard is a bit easier, all you have to do is cut the tracks, and all the other places are allready connected so you just solder in the components. Very easy to put together but the layouts may not be able to be as small

I like perfboard, and it isn't that much harder if you're making something very small like this.

and yeah, PCBs are the nicest to use, you just have to spend a bit of time making actual board (or buy a premade one/get someone else to make one, in which case it becomes really easy :D). It isn't that hard to make one yourself, you just need to get the blank copper coated board, transfer the artwork to it (the Press'n'Peel blue stuff is awesome, though people have gotten good results with glossy photo papper and photocopying/laser printers, then ironing it on), etch it (ferric chloride, but other chemicals can also work) and drilling the holes (you just need a small <1mm drill bit and some kind of drill press).
If you can't do the transfer part you can even draw the traces on with a permanent marker.

petemoore

By the way, is there any easier way to solder all the circuits? I tried to build  a circuit on a perfboard and it is hard.
   I swore off perfboard, said I'd never try that stuff again.
     Then I built every circuit I have on the stuff anyway.
  They..told me "Once you get used to it"....
  I wrote a long dissertation on the perils of perfing...how everything gets upside down and backward when looking at top and bottom of the board...it does...and that's a drag that it takes learning to learn to work with it...seemed real wakki to me at first too.
  Maybe you can find non copper padded board [like perf but no copper pads], this can be re-used and never gets solderey bridge messes on it that are hard to clean up.
  One thing I started and am doing when perfing is leaving enough lead length above board ... this makes it remarkably easier to:
1  Play find the component And 'available' contact point
2  Apply the DMM probe to 1 contact point [and only 1] 'verifiably'
3  Add 'addendum' components [mods or components forgotten until debug] cleanly / neatly.
  Debug
4  Test in box.
5  Build quickly / accurately
6  Rebuild or make corrections to a section.
  Another option is copperless perfboard [ITIt's called 'project board' at RS], just high temp board with holes in it, never gets messy, can be re-used...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Tamir

Ok, I see. but I don't know where/if I can get all these at all (PNP and the chemical).
I live in Israel and I don't think our local electronics stores know about this stuff.  :-\

thank you very much for the help.

d95err

Quote from: Seljer on September 09, 2006, 03:14:19 PM
Yes, all of these are pretty clean, they might add a little bit of distortion when you've got them all the way up, but generally they're clean.

AMZ Mini Booster
AMZ Mosfet Boost
that Gus Smalley NPN boost thats documented on here http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?board=6.0
Dragonfly Sparkle Boost
MXR Microamp
Alembic Stratoblaster

I breadboarded the Fetzer Valve, and it's far from clean, at least with humbuckers. The AMZ Mini Booster is often referred to as a "one-knob overdrive" rather than a booster, and you frequently see posts here discussing the surprising amount of distortion it has. I suppose that it depends a lot on the output of the guitar.

The Mosfet Boost and Microamp are the only circuits in this list that can be completely clean. These two circuits adjust the actual gain of the circuit, so if you set the level low they will be clean. The other circuits have fixed gain and then a volume pot at the end of the circuit. This means they will have the same amount of distortion regardless of the position of the level knob.

Dragonfly

Quote from: d95err on September 10, 2006, 03:02:33 AM
Quote from: Seljer on September 09, 2006, 03:14:19 PM

AMZ Mini Booster
AMZ Mosfet Boost
Dragonfly Sparkle Boost
MXR Microamp
Alembic Stratoblaster

The Mosfet Boost and Microamp are the only circuits in this list that can be completely clean.The other circuits have fixed gain and then a volume pot at the end of the circuit. This means they will have the same amount of distortion regardless of the position of the level knob.

BZZT ! Wrong ! 

the Sparkle Boost has adjustable "gain" and "volume" !  goes from "pretty damn clean" to a light (really light" OD..... :D

AC

d95err

Quote from: Dragonfly on September 10, 2006, 09:20:00 AM
BZZT ! Wrong ! 

the Sparkle Boost has adjustable "gain" and "volume" !  goes from "pretty damn clean" to a light (really light" OD..... :D

I stand humbly corrected! Please find it in your heart to forgive me...  ;D

petemoore

They all color tone, going into a FF...or not, before I added an indicator to the Mosfet boost, if it was at unity I'd have to switch it on and off a few times or readjust the volume to tell if it was on.
  Check and see how hard 't'd be to Sparkleboost a Fetzer, not to get personal, but Jfet's sound cool into FF. 
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

reverberation66

I'd personally go with the dod 201 JFET preamp for a good, transparent clean volume boost.  There's a layout/schematic for it in the dragonfly gallery here.