The ClipBoard

Started by dano12, September 11, 2006, 08:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bancika

Hey Dano,
here's layout for my version. Since you're more than averagely acquainted with this can you take a look

First five rows are for one direction and rows 6-10 are for the other. It should give plenty of room for experimenting
Tnx
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

dano12

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on September 12, 2006, 06:23:42 PM
I think I am going to go to Radio Shack today and I think they have the switches so I may get one or two...

But dano12, it still seems strange that theres no buffers or low/high pass filters...  I guess its not really to be used alone, but with other pedals in before and after it...  Have you tested it?  Does it sound good?

That's the question isn't it? I originally envisioned just the PCB part. It acts as a test-bed for plunking around inside various circuits. I was also thinking about passive clipper devices like the Black Ice. I figured it would be fun to see what these passive clippers would do when driven by other boost or overdrive pedals.   

I need a few more evenings to determine if it sounds good this way.

BTW, if your local Radio Shack stocks a parts inventory you'll likely find an 8 or 12 pin DIP on the wall.

lumpymusic

Quote from: bancika on September 12, 2006, 06:36:53 PM

First five rows are for one direction and rows 6-10 are for the other.
It should give plenty of room for experimenting

Does putting the clipping diodes in parallel have the same effect
as putting them in series?

Lumpy
In Your Ears for 40 Years
www.lumpymusic.com

KerryF

I got an 8-Pin switch which I guess is definately enough.  8 clipping stages is a lot!  I will build it soon.

Heres a schematic I drew up for it.  I am in the process of a layout.

bancika

you should have some settings with asymmethrical clipping. But with concept where both diodes go to one switch pole you would need more diodes. When you split to positive and negatve side of waveform you need less parts...just my .02 euros

edit:
Quote from: lumpymusic on September 12, 2006, 09:05:37 PM

Does putting the clipping diodes in parallel have the same effect
as putting them in series?

Lumpy

well, only one diode per waveform side is ON at the moment (one of switches 1-5 and one of 6-10) so there are no paralleled diodes

newbie builder

//

KerryF

CRAP!!!!  ;)  This pedal is freaking amazing!!!  I love it!  I did it bancika's way with all seperate diodes and MOSfets, and its insane!

bancika

so it works, great man  :icon_wink:
Here's new layout

and project page here
http://storm-software.co.yu/diy/index.php?project=flexi_clip
I made board for it but my TS808 is not here at the moment so I can't test it.

handlefras

bancika, if I build the clipboard your way is it possible to clip asymmetrically? Would I have place two diodes in series on Switch 8 say, and just turn Switch 8 on at the same time as Switch 1 for example? Effectively I would have two diodes (in series) clipping one side of the wave and one diode clipping on the other side. is there an easier or more versatile way to do this?

bancika

If you want to play with diodes in series another idea is to wire diodes between two lugs of the same switch in zig-zag, so when switch is on, diode gets bypassed. You would leave switches OFF for diodes you want to use.
Here's how it would look like for one side of the waveform

hope that helps