Orange Squeezer Attack Question

Started by fretbuzz2003, September 13, 2003, 12:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fretbuzz2003

I built my first successful stompbox (after many painful hours of troubleshooting), the Orange Squeezer clone from General Guitar Gadgets. However, I'm not too happy with the sound. When I adjust the trimmer I either get a sound that is way too percussive (I believe that is the attack?), it almost sounds like a slapback delay. If I adjust it the other way, the sound distorts when using humbuckers.

Does anyone know of any mods I can do to reduce this percussive sound? I was reading something on JD's website that mentioned slowing down the attack by changing the 4.7uF capacitor. However, there are five 4.7uF caps on the board. I'm not sure which one he means, what value I should try, and whether that will solve the problem or not.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Rob Strand

There a germanium diode, 1.5k resisitor, 4.7uF cap and 100k resistor which all connect together - these parts determine the attack and decay.  To increase the attack increase the 1.5k resistor, try doubling it but feel free to play around with the value.

You can also increase the attack by increasing the 4.7uF cap, again try doubling it.  Playing around with this cap changes *both* the attack and decay times.  That's not bad or good, it's just different to changing the 1.5k resistor.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.