Seen Seymour Duncan's tweek pedal?

Started by RollingElbow, September 18, 2006, 04:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RollingElbow

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/effectsdescr.shtml  .. I am a Blues Saraceno fan as i think he can really groove so maybe i am somewhat biased. Obviously a lot of this is the player but it is a cool sounding pedal. What do we have here that would be similar? The "Brick" I think would cover some of that.

p.s- watch the video, rather than just the sound file.

burnt fingers

I think a good Fuzz Face with switchable input caps will do the trick.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

tcobretti

Quote from: burnt fingers on September 18, 2006, 11:39:40 PM
I think a good Fuzz Face with switchable input caps will do the trick.

This is what I have heard as well.

Dragonfly

yep...IIRC, its a silicon FF (2N3904 transistors) with switchable input caps....theres a schematic floating around somewhere...i remember somone mentioning that it was all SM components as well....

AC

Bernardduur

I've made a schem of it a long time ago...... PM me for it!
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

RollingElbow

Great, I pm'ed ya, hopefully it made it through.

Thanks. 

What do you guys think of the sound of that pedal anyway?

Dragonfly

Quote from: RollingElbow on September 19, 2006, 01:35:54 PM
Great, I pm'ed ya, hopefully it made it through.

Thanks. 

What do you guys think of the sound of that pedal anyway?

i think theres a ton of ways to improve the sound....

my suggestion...build a fuzz face using a 20k trim pot in place of the 8k2 resistor, use a 2k pot for the fuzz pot, use joe gagans "tone" circuit on the front end (which essentially makes the input capacitor "fully variable") and make sure you get a set of matched transistors....

you should be able to find TONS of info here by searching the forum, but i'd also STRONGLY suggest going to www.geofex.com and read "technology of the fuzz face"...

have fun !

AC

tcobretti

It would probly be a cool pedal to buy and mod; I'd imagine you could get it for fairly cheap, and the mods are many and very well documented.  After the mod session it would truly be a "Tweak Fuzz".

RollingElbow

Just sent you another pm..don't think mine is working though.

tungngruv

A while ago, I built as an experiment something along these lines. It turned out to be real versatile and tweakable fuzz for not a whole lot of money. I started with rog's multi face:

http://runoffgroove.com/multiface.html
http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/fuzzyfaces.html

I then picked up three rotary switches from Radio Shack and made all three caps switchable like this:

input cap - .0047uf, .01uf, .022uf, .047uf, 0.1uf and 2.2uf.
output cap - .01uf, .022uf, .047uf, 0.1uf, .22 and 2.2uf
cap to gain pot - 2.2uf, 4.7uf, 10uf, 22uf, 47uf and 100uf

Socket the trannies, replace the 10k trim with an external pot to bias from the outside of the pedal and replace the 100k resistor connecting the base/gate of Q1 to the source/emitter of Q2 with a 1Meg pot (go from HB's to single coils) ((Tim Escobedo's idea)).

So you would have volume, fuzz, 6 different cap possibilities in each stage, external bias and the 1M "saturation" control.

How's that for a "tweak" fuzz!!! ;D

RollingElbow

tungngruv

Really good! As you lower the input cap, it turned into almost an overdrive sound, raising the out put cap seemed to add some woolliness to the fuzz and the cap to the gain pot seemed to control the "clarity" of the whole circuit. It was pretty crazy being able to change all those values so quickly. Lot's of good sounds and some off the wall thin and nasal ones too (in a good way). If nothing else, you could just socket the caps like runoffgroove.com recommends but with the switches for the caps, you can change a lot of parameters very fast. The 1M pot was a real good addition also.

Dragonfly

Quote from: tcobretti on September 19, 2006, 09:00:00 PM
It would probly be a cool pedal to buy and mod; I'd imagine you could get it for fairly cheap, and the mods are many and very well documented.  After the mod session it would truly be a "Tweak Fuzz".

surface mount, brother...surface mount....

AC

tcobretti

Quote from: Dragonfly on September 19, 2006, 11:22:28 PM
Quote from: tcobretti on September 19, 2006, 09:00:00 PM

surface mount, brother...surface mount....

AC

Arg!