Cab/Speaker/Saturation sim-all in one box

Started by Noplasticrobots, September 18, 2006, 04:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noplasticrobots

I breadboarded STM's speaker saturation circuit last night and had fun with it's little intricacies. It got me thinking about hooking it up to a Condor and then I realized I'll be living in a crowded house soon so it would be in my best interest to build a cab/speaker/saturation circuit for DI recording.

My rough ideas:

I'd like to use the Condor (with the notch switch) for the cab sim as I've built one before and I like the way it sounds, but I need some reccomendations on speaker sims. Ideally, I'd like to implement a Marshall/Fender speaker switch (for options) with a bypassable saturation circuit (probably STM's SSS). Could all these circuits share the same board or would there be any problems? Can anyone reccomend any good Marshall/Fender speaker sims (unless the Condor already contains one and I'm just completely oblivious...)? Could an XLR out be benificial to a circuit like this?
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

bancika

yeah, condor should be nice for fender/marshall. notch switch does exactly that. I don't see any reason against putting everything on the same board..good luck!
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

MartyMart

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Noplasticrobots

I knew someone must have done it before me! My only question now is why didn't your posts come up when I searched?! Oh well. Sound clips sound good Marty, I can't wait to get this thing going!

d95err

Quote from: Noplasticrobots on September 18, 2006, 04:27:41 PM
Could an XLR out be benificial to a circuit like this?

The Condor does not have a balanced output, so XLR wouldn't do much. However, if you want to use it as a DI for recording, making a balanced output would be a good idea. The easiest way to achieve this would probably be to put a Mouser TM018 1:1 transformer on the output.

There were a couple of threads about balanced in-/outputs recently. Search for "XLR" and "balanced".

fxdfxd

Hi

maybe you can try the cab sim section of LXH2 preamp, availlable as fender 2x12" and marshall 4x12"
These are the best sounding cab sims to my ears (add the ADA ampulator to the list ;) ) ...

-fx

kvb

I'm so glad that I saw this post before I boxed up the Condor. I'm definitely adding the SSS.

I'm also glad that I built the condor before I saw these (from)http://hem.passagen.se/amps/.
(to)http://home3.netcarrier.com/~lxh2

Man that's 14 opamps on the Fender cab sim.

Also, this thread has some ideas on more Condor mods Condor & Speaker sat sim finished pics ...

oldrocker

Where can I find a speaker saturation schem?  I haven't seen one anywhere.  Is there certain speaker sat circuits that everyone uses in general or are there different ones available.  To be honest I'm not sure I ever heard of these before.  Are you talking about a power soak?  Or does this circuit simulate driving your virtual speakers into overdrive somehow without high volume?
I just built the Condor last night and still need to add some mods to it and this topic caught my eye.

MartyMart

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Noplasticrobots

There's also a very simiiaor looking Tape Saturation Sim circuit if you want to add a little something extra:

http://home3.netcarrier.com/~lxh2/tapesat.html

Noplasticrobots

So I'm starting to gather all the parts for this project. I'll be using it for home recording purposes so I'd like to mount a 9v power supply in the enclosure. I didn't want to create another power supply topic so I was just wondering if someone could point me to a schematic. I've never worked with AC before so any help is appreciated.

d95err

Quote from: Noplasticrobots on September 30, 2006, 01:38:37 AM
So I'm starting to gather all the parts for this project. I'll be using it for home recording purposes so I'd like to mount a 9v power supply in the enclosure. I didn't want to create another power supply topic so I was just wondering if someone could point me to a schematic. I've never worked with AC before so any help is appreciated.

If all you need is 9V, I would recommend using an external 9V adapter (wall wart). It is so much easier, and you don't have to bother about the hum caused by AC line voltages or the transformer, as well as safety issues with high voltages.

If you want to make sure you get a really clean 9V supply, use a 12V wall wart, and add a voltage regulator inside the box. An R-C filter is another (easier) way to improve filtering. Checkout Jack Orman's article: http://www.muzique.com/lab/hum.htm

If you really want to build a power supply, here are some ideas: (They are for rectifying tube amp heater voltages, but it's the same idea)
http://forum.musikding.de/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10029&pos=5