Tip/Sleeve/Ring of output jack

Started by omg_bbq, September 19, 2006, 02:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omg_bbq

In the FAQ it gives a nice diagram on how to connect the input jack. (http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/beginners/images/image4.gif)  I couldn't find one for the output jack, all i could find was this:

QuoteTip, ring, what lug does what?

Question: All effects circuits have an in and an out.. which lugs do these go on on the jacks?

The signal of the circuit goes to the tip of the jack. The ground of the circuit goes to the ring of the jack. So the input to the circuit goes to the input jack tip lug and the output of the circuit goes to the output jack tip.The ground of the circuit connects to the sleeve lugs of the jacks.

So does that mean for the OUTPUT jack, both the sleeve and ring just connect directly to the ground?

Snuffy

I'm going to try and answer this one.

A lot of the time for building pedals the output jack doesn't have a 'ring' because you'll be wiring it with a mono jack..

omg_bbq

That's odd.

My mono jack has 3 lugs ... !  But only one .... ummm .... "long thing", whatever you call that

omg_bbq

HMMM

Another thing!

In this picture, the tip, sleeve and ring are labelled:

Will they always be in that order from left to right?

In that picture, the tip is on the left and is the highest up (vertically).  On the one i have, the one on the right is the highest up.

So is the tip always on the left? Or is it always the one which is highest up vertically?

Sorry about all the questions.  I'm only asking stuff i can't find in the FAQ though.

(If anyone can answer my first question too, that'd be good)

smnm

for your first question - sound s like you have a stereo jack for your output - if it's got 3 lugs, just use the tip and the ring and ignore the sleeve.

Quote from: omg_bbq on September 19, 2006, 02:29:37 AM
In this picture, the tip, sleeve and ring are labelled:

Will they always be in that order from left to right?

No - there are different styles of jack, the one shown is a Switchcraft jack I think  - you have to look closely to see which contact is for which lug, or use a meter to confirm continuity. It can be deceptive. Mostly the lug is opposite the contact, but even this may not be universal.

d95err

There is a very simple answer to all these which-goes-where questions:

Get your multimeter out! Don't guess, measure!