|HOME| |DIY FAQ| |GEO FAQ| |Debugging Page| |Links| |Schematics| |Wiki| |Layouts Gallery| |STORE|
|AMPAGE| |GEOFEX| |AMZ|

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 07:40:24 AM
965256 Posts in 103081 Topics by 32678 Members
Latest Member: Marstyn9
Home Help Login Register
DIYstompboxes.com  |  DIY Stompboxes  |  Building your own stompbox  |  Understanding the Schulte Compact Phasing 'A' 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Understanding the Schulte Compact Phasing 'A'  (Read 5421 times)
puretube

but, err, I`m not really here...

Re: Understanding the Schulte Compact Phasing 'A'
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2006, 11:51:41 PM »

in my view of the orig schemo,
your R6 (on the side of C6/C7)
of the LFO
should go to ground.
(me thinx, there`s a dot drawn...).

majormono

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2006, 12:56:46 AM »

Hey guys - has anyone ever actually heared one of these in working condition? Mine was so long forgotten and out-of-order no one could remember it was even there...
It must have been put to permanent rest when the Quadraverb (oh boy) came out but I can hardly think *that* was better.
On the other hand - if it's great I have to try to fix it again (fist time I got frustrated at some point, hm) or take it to a more real tech (what a shame...).

Sorry Charlie, I don't have a X-ray camera yet, but I could ask the folks at radiology if they want to test their new CT for metal-induced artifacts  Grin.
moosapotamus

New Hampshire USA

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2006, 10:10:25 AM »

in my view of the orig schemo,
your R6 (on the side of C6/C7)
of the LFO
should go to ground.
(me thinx, there`s a dot drawn...).

Makes sense. That fat line for the ground rail makes it kind of hard to tell.
So, I guess that would also move C6 & C7 over to the PSU scheme, then. Thanks!

Updated schemes...

SCP'A' Power Supply

SCP'A' LFO Section

Hey guys - has anyone ever actually heared one of these in working condition?

I'm going on reputation alone... Mike Irwin posted some interesting comments about it here some time ago, including the unique sound of the feedback around the first two filter stages. May be an opportunity to tap the feedback at other (maybe multiple) stages to get some other different character sounds. And, if it's good enough for Jürgen, I'll bet it'll be good enough for me, too. Cool

Sorry Charlie, I don't have a X-ray camera yet, but I could ask the folks at radiology if they want to test their new CT for metal-induced artifacts  Grin.

icon_razz Let me know what they say... Actually, was referring to that back-lit shot of the PCB. I did a similar shot of the Gonkulator PCB a while back. Nice stuff. Cool

Thanks!
~ Charlie

moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."
puretube

but, err, I`m not really here...

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2006, 12:04:11 PM »

of course, you could email/PM J.Haible,
who happens to have posted here once,
but doesn`t seem to frequent the forum too much,
and ask him if he ever made up his own schemo...
 icon_wink

heck - he lives 10 miles from here, but I never managed
to find the time to bike over there...  icon_frown

moosapotamus

New Hampshire USA

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2006, 08:48:53 PM »

That's a good idea. I think he does frequent The Lab.

I finally finished a draft of the audio signal path and added a couple of notes to the LFO and PSU schemes. I tried to eliminate that 5-pin DIN plug for the audio input/output.

Nowadays, I guess the preferred way to do the I/O without the DIN would be to just have an unbalanced mono input (connect R30 (1k8) to ground) and have two output jacks... one with the mix from the modulation pot, and another switching output jack that would tap the clean unmodualted signal and, when plugged, switch the signal to the first output jack to have only the pure modulated signal.

But the way I've drawn it, just trying to copy the original scheme for now, I'm thinking the input would work with either a balanced or unbalanced mono signal, but not a stereo input signal. And, the output would give a clean, unmodualted signal at the ring connection and a mixed signal (via the modulation pot) at the tip connection, yes/no?.

SCP'A' Audio Signal Path

SCP'A' LFO Section

SCP'A' Power Supply

Thanks!
~ Charlie

moosapotamus.net
Nasse

Eagle eats a piece by piece

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006, 09:47:15 AM »

Yeah I tried to look that 6,3 mm "stereo" jack input and thought a piece of gear I bought that has spiffy jacks that allow you connect balanced or unbalanced cable/plug. Tried to google trough some mixer circuits but was not my lucky day. I think I have seen input circuit that does it, and similar output too, but where... somewhere in my messy pile of papers perhaps. But I think it is not important for cloning this sound. But if the input scheme works as left/right difference amplifier that would be funny to test and hear, in stereo icon_rolleyes
mph

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 04:26:58 AM »

Hello
I'm currently trying to upgrade a bit my Compact Phasing (mostly changing the electros cause it distords too easily even with a passive telecaster as input signal) and I would like to know what pot value in the expression pedal is suitable?
I haven't found any infos about that, even on the JH's clone page... could it be really a 100K lin like printed on the back panel?

I want to make a small utility box to interface easily the line in/outs and the switching/modulation stuff, using 6,35mm jacks instead of the DINs.

For the moment I have an original (but cheap) switch pedal which only changes the status of the phaser: auto/manual mode.
So I still don't understand if the pedal needs two switches, or if the "fast/slow" mode works in "auto" mode in addition to the expression pedal which could allow to sweep the rate from fast to slow..?

Also please could someone repost the redrawn schematics?

Thanks in advance.

I can post pictures of mine if you like, it's a BCxx version, and the input & output jacks have already been repaired (holes have been drilled to mount replacement jacks slightly upper than the originals).

Cheers.
moosapotamus

New Hampshire USA

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 12:44:41 PM »

Since I built Jeurgen's version, I never bothered to go back and verify my old redrawn schematics. So there may be errors.

SCP'A' Audio Signal Path
SCP'A' LFO Section
SCP'A' Power Supply

I strongly recommend that you compare them against the original schematic to see how they might differ.
http://www.tasteundtechnik.de/bilder/compactphasing.jpg

Also, you can find schematics (and a lot more info) for Jeurgen's version here...
http://www.jhaible.de/compact_clone/compact_clone.html

I can't offer any info about the expression pedal, but hope you might find the documentation helpful.

Cheers,
~ Charlie

moosapotamus.net
mph

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 07:32:04 AM »

Thank you very much Charlie.

This very helpful  icon_biggrin
mph

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 06:49:41 AM »

Hi

I've finished the interface box for the Compact Phasing.
So it has two spst switches and a pair of jacks for the modulation DIN, and 3 jacks for the line in & outs DIN.
Everything works like a charm but I have not managed to find a good place to link the 4th pin of the 6 pin DIN connector (as you can see on my schematic I left it unconnected):

If pin 4 is connected to pin 6 or pin 3 it reduces a bit the depth of the LFO, but that's not better with or without this connection. Any idea?

On my original on/manual switch the pins 3&4 are linked together and pins 1&2 too; but this pedal only uses one switch and does not allow for fast/slow or expression pedal connection.

Note that you'll need a 7 wire cable because there is the ground on the seventh wire (the other cable to connect the line in/out DIN plug can be a standard 5 pin midi cable).

The expression pedal trick is ok with a simple volume pedal VPJunior from Ernie Ball (which has a 250K log pot, but I had to change the setting of the internal curve switch to make it usable with the CP1).

Thanks again for your help!

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: