The McMeat; wow!

Started by Bernardduur, September 21, 2006, 09:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernardduur

Just a small message saying that I am quite satisfied and happy with the McMeat........ Can't stop playing with it; so fat and needed in my rig. Thanks to all that have made this!

One small issue: I read the Pisotones site and there was a small "mark" on the side of blend knob; what does this mark means? When I set my copy to the mark all I hear is the envelope signal, none of the original. Is this normal?

Oh, one last question: I used a KA1458..... dunno if that is the same as a LM1458 (or that upgrading is soundwise better)
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

SISKO

It means that in that spot, you have a sound similar to a phase.
Congrats!.

Bye
SISKO
--Is there any body out there??--

Bernardduur

Ah, OK; thanks...... should this sound small and tiny, this phase setting?

OK, another question; how should the expression pots be wired? I saw the article at Piso but can't make it out.

lowstar

the blended signal sounds small and tiny in the low-pass setting, cause the low-pass signal is out-of-phase with the unaffected; the bp and hp work fine. markusw incorporated a phase-inverter in his mcmeat to counter that, if i remember correctly. i don´t bother because the hp and bp signals lend themselves better to blending than lp (IMO), cause the bass will come from the dry signal anyway.
as far as i thought, the mark suggests the "sweet spot" where the dry/wet mix is 50/50, but i could be wrong.

i haven´t wired up the decay jack yet, but the wah jack worked fine for me. if you can´t get hold of the jacks in the diagram, somewhere else on the pisotones site they exactly explain which contact does what, so then you can use whichever jacks you want and change the wiring around.

and yes, this is one of the best diy-builds around. i love mine.

cheers,
lowstar
effects built counter: stopped counting at 100

343 Salty Beans

does anyone else think of McMeaties from Invader Zim?

Best show ever.

Bernardduur

OK,thanks all!

I found the manual of the Meatball here and it states that the decay-pedal is series (so the jack switches an extra potmeter wired as a variable resistor in the signal path) and the intensity-pedal is in parrallel (so it is just parrallel to the pot). Clears a lot.

I guess I can't get a real "wah" sound as my expression pedal is log and they advise a lin one........

Thanks for clearing up that phase issue; I will try later if that works.

Still one question to go: is the KA1458 the same as a LM1458??

Joe Viau

Quote from: Bernardduur on September 21, 2006, 12:57:31 PM
OK,thanks all!

I found the manual of the Meatball here and it states that the decay-pedal is series (so the jack switches an extra potmeter wired as a variable resistor in the signal path) and the intensity-pedal is in parrallel (so it is just parrallel to the pot). Clears a lot.

I guess I can't get a real "wah" sound as my expression pedal is log and they advise a lin one........

Thanks for clearing up that phase issue; I will try later if that works.

Still one question to go: is the KA1458 the same as a LM1458??

Long answer:
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/collateral/opamp_comparator_pp.pdf#search=%22ka1458%20lm1458%20data%20sheet%22
See Page 2 under "Standard Op Amps", Line 9.

Short answer:
The only difference between the KA1458 and LM1458 is that the Vio (mVMax) is 10 while the LM is 6. All other parameters appear to be identical.  According to the following article, "The smaller the VIO, the better the performance characteristics in a typical application."

http://ap.pennnet.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?Section=Articles&Subsection=Display&ARTICLE_ID=188050

Would anyone care to elaborate based on their own experiences, or does it matter all that much for DIY effects?

HTH,
Joe

Joe Viau

Quote from: Joe Viau on September 21, 2006, 01:39:01 PM
Short answer:
The only difference between the KA1458 and LM1458 is that the Vio (mVMax) is 10 while the LM is 6. All other parameters appear to be identical.  According to the following article, "The smaller the VIO, the better the performance characteristics in a typical application."

http://ap.pennnet.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?Section=Articles&Subsection=Display&ARTICLE_ID=188050

Would anyone care to elaborate based on their own experiences, or does it matter all that much for DIY effects?

HTH,
Joe

Me quote me! Anyone?

Bernardduur

No-one I guess ;)

Small last issue: The color pot.... How is that mod done? When I connect the middle and 1.5k lug I get a no-working filter

markusw

Quote from: Bernardduur on September 25, 2006, 08:55:36 AM
Small last issue: The color pot.... How is that mod done? When I connect the middle and 1.5k lug I get a no-working filter

Basically, it's just connecting the wiper with lug 3. Should give you a more even response of the pot though Q and G range remain the same. Unfortunately, I don't have any idea why it doesn't work with your McMeat.

Markus

Bernardduur

I will try again.....

Do I need to remove the 1.5k + Vref connection from the third lug?

markusw

Quote from: Bernardduur on September 25, 2006, 09:32:42 AM
I will try again.....

Do I need to remove the 1.5k + Vref connection from the third lug?

No, just connect lug 2 and 3 :) With the mod the color pot set to 30-40% already should give a nice sound.

Bernardduur

Thanks........ now it works...... but I did just the same as the other day (?????)

Oh well; great addition! Now finally the pot "works" :)

markusw

QuoteInsert Quote
Thanks........ now it works...... but I did just the same as the other day (??)

The miracles of electronics  ;)

QuoteOh well; great addition! Now finally the pot "works"

Glad you like it :)